• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Grandson Code got me bear to render

Started by Okanagan, October 11, 2022, 08:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

I'd mentioned that while elk hunting, Grandson Code had hiked up several gated roads, checking for elk.  He walked up on a large bear napping in the shade that threatened him before backing off.  Bear season was open but he wasn't armed, though he said he'd have shot the bear if he'd had a handgun.  He was covering ground for me, looking for elk, a gift.

Seven days later he and his brother, Zay, went back looking for the bear.  Code killed it with his .45-70 cannon.  It looks to all of us to be a smaller bear than the one he snapped a pic of in the brush the week before.

Code plans to render the lard and share some for my pie operations.

bigben

looks like a guide gun.  Is that a marlin a remington or a new ruger?  Nice kill.  Im sure it will make tasty pie crust. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Hawks Feather

I think you need to keep those grandsons around. Looking for elk for you to hunt and then bringing you bear.

nastygunz

Okanagan

Quote from: bigben on October 12, 2022, 05:47:34 AMlooks like a guide gun.  Is that a marlin a remington or a new ruger?  Nice kill.  Im sure it will make tasty pie crust. 

Pretty sure it is a Marlin Guide Gun.  He loaded up some special elk loads for it and hunted elk with it a year or so ago. 

I was so out of it and hallucinating from bad pneumonia the day they got the bear that I don't recall any details of stalk or shot if anyone told me. 
Feel so good this morninng I'm having a cup of coffee while sitting up.  That is huge progress.

bigben

awesome news to hear.  I love mine even though it is a Remington made one.  It loves eating the barnes copper shells.  I also like that it doesnt tear up meat. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Thats not a win win. Thats a win, win, win :eyebrow:   :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on October 13, 2022, 08:22:07 PMThats not a win win. Thats a win, win, win :eyebrow:  :eyebrownod:

YES!

Zay stopped by and filled in some details. 

Code and Zay spooked a larger bear at 150 yards, and ran toward it to try and see it in the brush and draws.  They called a bit trying to get it to stick its head up and this bear climbed a tree 75 yards away to look over the brush at them.  Code shot it offhand and hit it perfectly between the eyes. That's not where he was aiming :-) His rifle is sighted a bit high and he was aiming under its chin.  That should give us razzing material for this year's antler party.

400 grain hard cast bullet, exit down the side of neck, little expansion if any.

Extremely fat bear with thick layers of snow white fat.

coyote101

Very nice. Congratulations to everyone involved.  :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing