• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

? for reloaders

Started by browning204, September 29, 2007, 05:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

So I have a new Kimber that I plan on shooting alot, and I was looking at my brother in laws  reloading set up.

I would like a few different opinions.

How much $ does it take to get started reloading? I mean with everything. machine, dies, tumbler, powder, bullets blah blah blah.

AND, is it worth reloading and the headaches that might come with it for a guy who doesn't shoot a wicked lot, just sometimes.

I would like to reload .45 and 9mm to start with.

Thanks for any info you may give.
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

Hawks Feather

browning,

How far away does your brother-in-law live?  If it is not too far you might want to start by taking your brass to his place and reloading.  It will give you a feel for it without the investment.  Personally, I love to reload and sometimes think that I shoot so that I can reload rather than reload so I can shoot.   :biggrin:   If the brother-in-law has the press, but not the .45 and 9mm dies, you could buy them and still use his press, charger, etc.  You would need to get your own primers, powder, and bullets.  As for savings, it depends on what you are shooting and how accurate you want to be.  I don't think I have fired a (center fire) commercial rifle round in 30 years and it has been 15 to 20 for pistol.  I just like my reloads better.  If you have to have powder and primers shipped you will get tagged with the hazmat fee, so check to make sure that the fee will be offset by the difference between mail order price and local prices.  Reloading components are priced from fairly cheap to moderately expensive.  Lee is at the lower end of the price list and a Dillon progressive is at the other.  There are single stage presses and indexed presses with a significant amount of cost difference and the amount that you shoot could determine a recommendation one way or the other.  When you say you plan to shoot your Kimber a lot, could you give an approximate number of rounds?  Reason being, a lot to you or me might not be the same to a person shooting pistol competition or cowboy action.  To some people a couple of hundred rounds a year is a lot, but ask Arky how many rounds he used to shoot in a year.

This will get you started and I would be glad to help you out more when there are a few more answers.  Next to knowing how many rounds you plan to shoot it would be helpful to know your approximate budget and if you are looking for new or used equipment. 

Jerry

browning204

My brother in law only lives like 20 minutes away. He loads pistol rounds exclusively but wants to reload .223 due to the rising costs. It is hard to determine how much is alot of shooting. with a 1 year old and another due in january, I get out when I can and spend a couple hours flinging lead. But I think if I have more rounds on hand I will feel more up to shooting more.
I just hate going to the store and dropping cash just to burn it all in a couple hours. I think if I reload I would get more satisfaction in burning my money.

Plus I need something to due when I am not fumbling around the forests of NH. And when the youngins are napping!!

I don't need anything special, just a good set that does it all.

I can get powder and stuff local. We have a place in Hookesett that has a big reloading counter.

thanks

Hawks Feather

Here is a start, but the game is on, so this might not be complete.  There are other "accessories" that you might want, but this would get you started.

Reloading Costs

New Reloading Manual:
Sierra    $25.37
Hornady    $24.64
Speer    $27.50
     Don't reload without a manual!

New Brass:
9mm brass     $35.13/250
Used Brass: unless you know who has shot it and how many times it has been fired, don't get it.

Bullets:
9mm 147 grain     $29.18/250

Primers:
CCI 500 Small Pistol     $24.95/1000

Powder:  1 pound = 7,000 grains
Winchester 231  $15.66/pound  4.25 grains = 1,647 shots

New Dies:
RCBS     $70.00 with carbide sizer die
Used Dies:
RCBS     $25.00 to $35.00

New Press – single stage:
RCBS Rockchucker Kit     $230.00
Lee  $82.00

New Press – turret:
RCBS      $330.00
Dillon RL 550B     $380.00

New Tumbler:
Lyman 2200   $101.47
RCBS Sidewinder    $269.70
RCBS Vibrator    $54.99

cb223

I bought a turret press almost 20 years ago for $20 with another $20 for a set of lee dies that I still load all of my rifle rounds on granted most of them are just for hunting. Probably around 200-300 rounds a year.

I came across a Dillon 550 b progressive press for a great deal. I had been looking for a while. I have around $200 into that with dies. I load around 6000 rounds a year in 9mm alone. Just for matches and practice. The Dillon came with 4 other caliber conversions. I probably load close to 8000 rounds a year on my Dillon.

So as far as price is concerned I think I come out ahead. I have bought many accessories over the years, so you do need to take that into consideration.

As far as hunting I think it is a bust price wise for me, but I enjoy reloading all my hunting ammo. As for my IPSC (pistol competition) I am way ahead reloading. I can't even buy the ammo I need for my comp gun. So I need to reload for that.

It all depends on what you want. If you bought all LEE(not the best, but very functional) stuff you could most likely have a complete set up for around 200.

If you wanted to have the best of everything the sky is the limit.

CHAD

Hawks Feather

Chad,

Have you ever tried reloading rifle cartridges on your Dillon?  I have the 550B as well and reload pistol, but have not tried any rifle cartridges.  I have read where it does a very good job, but I would like to hear it from someone who has reloaded rather than read about it.

Jerry

cb223

Jerry,

Yes I have. I tried loading .223. It did fine. You have to slow down alot because of time it takes for the powder to get in case through that little .223 sized hole. I was used to loading 9mm which runs very smooth and quick. I dumped alot of powder on the floor not waiting long enough for the powder to settle.

I was using a set of Dillon carbide dies. My first mistake was thinking if I have carbide I don't need to lube! NOT!!!!! You still need to lube cases just not as much. I found a couple sprays of one-shot for a batch of 100 worked the best for me.

Evan after I had sized and trimmed all the brass before I started I was getting a crushed case occasionally . I tracked it down to the crimp station. I had the crimp set light but if one case was just a few thousandths long it would start to crush the case. Few thousandths short and no crimp at all. So I ended up using the LEE factory crimp die. That fixed it.

I had been weighing all my charges one at a time when using my turret press. I was a little worried about accuracy. But after testing it was not a issue.

Once I had a few things smoothed out it went just fine.

One of these days I'm gonna spring for that Dillon electric trimmer that mounts right to your press. Size and trim in one stroke of the press. That would be sweet, I HATE trimming brass!!! It just seems to drag on forever.

Chad
CHAD

browning204

I took a look at the lee press.

They are less expensive than the Dillon ones. How much quality and ease does one sacrifice if any going with the Lee??

weedwalker

You can order the Lee Anniversary Kit from Cabelas for $70. It comes with most of the stuff you'll need. Just get your dies and a few other odds and ends and you'll be able to start up. I'm going to order one  in a couple weeks.

Hawks Feather

I can't provide any information on the Lee.  I have never even run the ram on one, but from the people I have talked with that use the Lee they either like or dislike it.  There don't seem to be many that say it is O.K., just like it or don't like it. 

Jerry

vvarmitr

In '89 I bought a Lee Anniversary Kit for $70.  :confused:  Still use it. :wink:  The one thing is I would get is their Classic Press. I love that chunk of iron & wish I bought it when it first came out!  ;yes;

Their powder thrower takes some technique, but I'll gladly walk you throught that. If you know what your doing w/ it it'll give great results.

Where I don't spare the quater is on dies. Most of my dies are Redding.  Some of the rag writers are bragging up the Hornady dies, but I don't trust those typing whores!  :noway:

Actually quite a few shooters really like the Lee dies. I wouldn't be w/o their Factory Crimp Dies for my pistol & lever action ammo. :nono:

Like Jerry the Master Moderator said GET A RELOADING MANAUL!  My two favorites are the Hodgdon & Hornady.