• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

5th place in Miles City hunt...

Started by Smith, January 23, 2007, 12:21:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Miles City MT coyote hunt was this past weekend and me, my brother in law and another friend got into it. It started at 7 pm Friday night and ended Saturday night at 7pm. We decided to call some country we have never called before and it worked out pretty good. We spotlighted a little Friday night then got some rest. Saturday morning we set up on a pd town and started calling with my W.T. and got a female to come in, mostly using coyote sounds. She stopped at 320 yards and I tipped her over with my 204. We made a few more stands around there and got quite a few to come in but never could connect,t or bad shot, or got busted :confused:.

We had permision to hunt some other land closer to Miles City so we popped back over there for 2 last stands. On the first stand we had a mangy one and a big one coming in from different directions. My brother in law got a little trigger happy  :shrug: and tried to make a shot that was around 500 yards :shck:, didn't pan out. The other coyote that was coming in took off also. We had enough time for 1 more so we move about 2 miles and set up again. About 3 minutes into it a triple shows up on Shawn's side(my friend) and he shoots. He wounded the front coyote and it got down into a hole. The others got away unharmed. He shot it a 5 pm. We had to dig that dang thing out with an Axe(frozen ground). We got the hole big enough to reach in and get him and guess what, he's still alive :shck:. nothing but teeth and claws coming out of the hole :confused:. I finally got a few 45 rounds in him to get him dead :whew: :nono:.

When we got back into the pickup it was pitch black and 6pm. We had 1 hour left before we had to be checked in and we were about 45 minutes from town. We started spotlighting on the way out to the main road and to our surprise another coyote :shck:.  I bailed out of the pickup and got on him. Bang,flop. I couldn't believe it a freebie :eyebrow: :highclap:.

We hurried of to Miles City hoping we would be in the money but we fell short, they only paid to 4rth place :shrug:. The money didn't matter to us though cause it was one of the funnest time we ever had calling :congrats:.

The guy on the left is my brother in law Jesse and the other guy is my friend Shawn.

The coyote on the left and the middle one are the 2 I shot and a furbuyer that was buying coyotes at the hunt gave me 50 bucks a piece for them :yoyo:. The one on the right we got 25 and he was filled with holes :nono:. 125$ for 3 coyotes, It paid for our fuel, but it didn't matter it still was a blast!!!
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

Brad H

That just floors me, the $50 coyotes in the round. I can see that they are nice pale belly ones though. Hughes is one of the most recommend fur buyers around and I'm glad he's in this area. That's who I sent my cats to.

Brad

studabaka

Great story. I can only imagine the audio of ya'll digging for that yote and finding him still alive  :roflmao:

and $50 in the round sure does sound like yote prices are up. Bet a few less guys are going to 'leave em lay'

Congrats on what sounds like a great weekend.
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

FinsnFur

Awesome Smith  :congrats:
Hey what kind of hole did the one get down into? I had to read that twice thinking you guys were on a frozen lake or creek or something and fished that critter out.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

Geeze Smith didn't ya feel unethical hunting coyotes in a contest that paid $? :shrug: Did you at least once think that you maybe were playing into the hands of PETA? :wo:  Me either! :sneer: Thanks for the story & pix! :biggrin: Glad ya had a great time. :wink:

Where are those people that think that we are hunting "poor defenseless animals"  when we need one pulled out of a hole? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Smith

Jim , It was a washout hole in the side of a hill(gumbo hills). The reason I have an axe on my pickup is cause I chop holes in stock reservoirs everyday to water cattle.

Guys,
My friend Shawn(guy on right), look at his forhead. He's got a cut on it, he was the one that discovered the coyote still being alive. He had his head and part of his body stuck in the hole when he found out :laf:. When he was trying to get out he bashed his head on the side of the frozen dirt hole :nono:.

keekee

Congrads! Sounds like a great and exciting time!

Brent

FinsnFur

That woulda been some good footage of him and the yote tanglin to get out of that hole ahead of each other.  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

BigB

dang, $50 for a coyote is awesome.  I sold one in December, and the fur buyer told me I was being paid top dollar in my area of Kansas.  I got a whole $12 for one and $8 for another.  I gotta find a different fur buyer.   :argh:

Congrats on the hunt.  Sounded like fun.
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

vvarmitr

Quote from: FinsnFur on January 23, 2007, 05:01:27 PM
That woulda been some good footage of him and the yote tanglin to get out of that hole ahead of each other.  :eyebrownod:

I'll "Amen" that one! :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Smith

I sure wish I would of thought about it :pout:, I can record a ton of video on my camera and would have made for some good laughs!

Lucas