• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

This will make semp cringe a little, it made me cry!

Started by slagmaker, July 02, 2010, 09:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

Went for a ride the other day after having the Harley down for a stator problem. Kara and I were about 8 miles from home when the bike just stopped. Like someone had flipped a switch. Called a friend and spent less than an hour on the side of the road. This repair could be cheap or it could be expensive. Lets not ruin a beautifulle day by worring about it. Today I put my baby on the lift and did some diagonsitics.

This is what I found.

This

had broken off here

what you see before you is a broken pinion shaft. It is what turns the cam, oil pump and crank case breather valve.

This repair is not cheep. Due to how far down you have to tear the motor to get to the pinion shaft a compleate engine rebuild is what is needed.

Cost? above 2 grand but that gets my bike gone over and the engine rebuilt at the factory back to new specs,, installed and ready to ride by a shop I trust and a years warrenty to

Think well  of my baby while she is down

With the economy she is gona be down for the forseeable future

this is my baby
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

Ouch!  That hurt.   :sad:   At least you made it to the side of the road in one piece. 

Speaking of repairs, I keep telling myself "Self, you better be checking those cam chain tensioners. You got 40,000 on 'em and they ain't going to last forever."   :nono:

pitw

Wow that would make me cry too. :sad:  Let me know if I can help some way.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Hawks Feather

Send this Bad-Boy up to Barry and he will have it running in nothing flat.  Not only that but when you get it back it will be able to spray fields too.

Actually I am sorry to hear of the breakdown, but like Semp said you made it to the side of the road and didn't become part of the pavement.

Jerry

FinsnFur

We should move this to the Prayer forum. It's kinda disheartening to see an American steel horse down for the count :sad:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: Hawks Feather on July 02, 2010, 10:31:22 PM
Send this Bad-Boy up to Barry and he will have it running in nothing flat.  Not only that but when you get it back it will be able to spray fields too.

She'd be hydrostatic drive in a few days ;yes;
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

She aint dead. No not by a long shot. It will take some doing and some time/patience but I will have her back on the road. Just not real quick.

Yeah it could have been worse. An engine lock up aint a fun thing to slide into. We were close to home and not on some lonley stretch of mountain highway. We were only stranded an hour and it could have been a lot longer if I hadnt been able to get in touch with anyone.

I have to hand it to my friend Pegleg, he came to my rescue and he had a 25 mile drive one way to trailor my bike 8 mile to home. He didnt even charge me anything and he fed me supper that night.

I am gona miss riding this summer. I used to have a spare bike but she got stollen.

40,000 on your cam chain tensioners. yeah you better check them. twin cam = twice the repair

slagmaker

Well she is back together just enough so I can take her to the Harley dealer and let them work there magic just as soon as I am financially able. The quote I have over the phone and not in stone by no means is $2300 and that has them taking the motor out and them putting it back in. They do that then dino the bike, take it for a putt and then I get it back in less than 14 days. Not bad. Everyone I have talked to and all I have read have been very happy with there reman's. I got to look over a reman engine this morning. Couldnt tell it from a brand new engine. So this is deffinetly the route I will be taking. I just need 2300 bucks to get this project started. Well 2400 cause I am goan upgrade the drive sprocket and thats an extra 100. Might as well get it done while the harley techs are at it. Till then she will be under a cover in the garage.