• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

-35 below zero coyote hunt

Started by blakcoyote, February 07, 2007, 11:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blakcoyote

We had wind chill warnings out all weekend,-35 below.But couldn't stand seeing the moonlight go to waste.Called a friend who's just getting into calling,and I guess he's as nuts as me.We went out about 9pm.We made our first stand in an alfalfa field that runs along a nice little cedar swamp.We had a cross wind,and tucked our selves in the fence row with the swamp straight out in front of us about 450 yards.

I started the stand with a lone howl from my Red Desert mouth piece.Then waited about 5 min.

Then I started the bunny screams on an Arky yoter antler call,I really laid into it because the wind was howlin' pretty loud.I thought I seen a spot out in the field about 3 min later,about 250yds out,but couldn't tell if it was a coyote.My eyes were watering real bad from the wind.So I thought I'd give the pup distress a crack,to see if that spot would move.When I lite up my puppy squels on the red desert,that spot not only moved,he came smokin' in,at about 50yds I woofed at him so he'd stop,he did no such thing,never skipped a beat,he was on a mission.So I smoked him at about 40 with the .243.My partner said that was awesome,he couldn't get a shot off,and glad I took him.A few nites before,I called one in for him,but he missed.I told him it takes practice to keep your nerves calm to shoot.

We made a couple more stands,but nothing.One stand got fouled up,just as we were heading across a field,at 12am,a squad pulled up by our truck,that was pulled off the highway.He shined the field,and spotted us,so we headed over by him,and let him know what we were doing.He said no problem,he thought maybe someone was stranded,and on a nite like this,it could be dangerous with the cold.We sat and shot the breeze for awhile,showed him the yote,then parted ways,and hit another stand before heading home.It was a good hunt.Here's a pic,I had my partner take it,it's a little dark,but it was out in the field I killed the yote in.

We went out the next night,but only called in a Barred owl,which BTW,hit me in the head.His talons scratch my left eyebrow,and snagged my face mask,and his tail feathers brushed against my face.I caught movement right by my head and threw up my hand,and glad I did,because,I probably would have been missing an eye.I've had owls swoop at me before,but none ever almost connected like this one did.My partner couldn't believe what happend.

I guess that owl thought I was a big bunny. :shck:

FinsnFur

Oh yahhhhhh  :yoyo:
Another Wisconsinite!! Aint this weather awesome.

I'm lovin it

Glenn Guess wears sunglasses to protect himself from the owls  :eyebrow:

Nice job bud...keep em coming  :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Great story!  And 35 below to boot! Wow!   :bowingsmilie:   :bowingsmilie:

Hawks Feather

Great hunt.  At -35 the only thing this "southern" boy wants to see is a fireplace that is working.  -1 here right now so you "northern" boys would be going around in shorts and a T-shirt.

Jerry

Brad H

Even though I live up here, just reading -35 makes my lips crack. I've never had much luck calling in the extremes, glad to see you did though....the coyote I mean, not the owl.

Brad

blakcoyote

I don't much like thinking about hunting in it either,but once your dressed for it and out there it's not to bad.I don't have much time to hunt lately during daylight,except a few hours on the weekend.But at night I have all kinds of time.My partner I took along is just getting interested in it,so I took him out in that stuff.He's hooked now.I don't usually have any luck in the wind,but lately,I've been hitting more sheltered and wooded areas,and it's been working out.The cold don't seem to bother them,just the wind.We made about 4 stands a nite those 2 days in the moon,that's about all we could take,our boots felt like solid blocks and our eyes were pretty burnt,eyelashes kept sticking together from watering and freezing.Those little hand and foot warmers help alot.

keekee

-35 deg~!!!!!!!!!!!!   Wow!  Its been 10 below here this week, with no wind. But -35 is tought!

Brent

Arkyyoter

WTG!! I can't even imagine 35 below.....BRRRRRR!!!!

joe

blakcoyote

It's suppose to warm up this weekend with highs around 18 above with a low of -5.Can't wait. :biggrin:

yotefever

"A few nites before,I called one in for him,but he missed.I told him it takes practice to keep your nerves calm to shoot."
Sounds like you have yotefever jr.
I"ve gotten it down to 31 yds with my last one, still like long range shooting better but sure is exciting when they get in close.

Mike
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"