Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

I don't know for sure, but it looks like someone needs a new barrel.

Jerry

straycat

I saw that somewhere else.    You see that on cartoons but it's not funny in real life.     Kinda makes you scared to pull a trigger even if you aint been borescoping.
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

fuzz624

I would not want to of been behind that thing when it went off.Man that looks scary.

slagmaker

Didnt they do something like that on Mythbusters and prove that you cant banna peal a barrel like that. YOU can however do some serious damage to the gun.
I mean if you look the sides of the splits are awfully smooth more like it was cut and not like it was stressed at all. If you tear metal like that the edges are rough and uneven and show discolleration from the intense heat created when you rip metal like that. And look at the sizes of the stips pf barrel. Never seen an explosion create such even pieces before.

But still that aint a pretty sight.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

I've often wondered the same thing when pics like these come up.
I can tell you one thing, I aint gonna try it to find out.  :nono:

I talked to a guy here the night I posted this and we were talking about this, and how evenly the barrel opened up etc...he said it's the rifling in the barrel that makes it do that.
:shrug: Ah dunno....it made sense, but I'm still not man enough to prove the theory wrong.  :biggrin:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

slagmaker

OK if it is the rifiling how come it dont open up in more of a twist pattern? That is opened up almost perfectly straight.

But like you said I am not gona be the one to test the theory
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

fuzz624

If the rifleing had caused this it should of followed the rifleing in a spiral.This is more like strait cuts.Im like you jim,wouldnt want to try it.I have seen what happens to a shotgun when it incounters a block in the barrel.it will leave an egg shape in the barrel with a blowout.

nailbender

i've had a shotgun barrel banana peel like that.  Not to that extent though.  I had to bend the strips forward to cut  the end of the barrell off.  5 1/2 inches if I remember right.    Just donated the barrel end to the hunter safety program or I could show it to you. Looked just like the cartoons, 4 or 5 strips peeled right back.  Never  knew for sure what caused it but my BIL gave up reloading after that.

FinsnFur

Now thats spooky ~bender  :holdon:

I was going to ask you what you plugged it up with until I finished reading it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

nailbender

Not sure it could be blamed on the shells. I did walk thru some tall weeds before it happened, maybe something fell in?  I know I didn't  stick it in the mud or snow.  Ever since I have a habit of pointing the barrel down and giving a good tap on the side if I walk through any tall stuff!  That happened 30 yrs ago and I still remember all too well.

desert dog

www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

pilot teacher

You are one very lucky guy. I know from first hand experience when my Savage 340 30-30 bolt action blew up about two years ago. No no nothing left in the bore. The last round in the magazine fired off when I pulled off the round in the chamber.
Probably defective primer. Was not over loaded using H335. The magazine was flat as a pancake. Barrel ok but bolt ripped out of action and went flying, stock shattered 3 pieces.  Very lucky, thanks to my guardian angel and God. I had a slight scratch on the side of my nose, some blood from it. Shooting glasses protected by eyes. Scope went sailing, hit a square concrete pillar about 8 feet away and took a chunk out of it. Scope? only a slight dent but is ok.
So we both must have the same angel.

FinsnFur

No no, ~teacher, I didn't do that myself. I'm not sure who did, the whole thing got e-mailed to me. 

By the way...welcome to the site  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

OKTrap

I can see how it would happen just like he picture shows. I have seen it second hand before more or less with a .30-06. I was not the shooter, but I was sitting next to him spotting while he sighted in a new scope.

A Marine Corp gunsmith no less. Ted told me that the newer barrel designs are made to do that so that the bolt doesn't come back through your face. It's a safety feature no doubt ... but a very "Eye Opening" one.

Even though he pulled the trigger, I was scared to pull a trigger for almost an entire year. I had to start over with a shotgun ... something I could jerk the trigger on instead of squeezing it.

I don't know exactly how it's made in order to do that ... but I've seen a "bolt meets face" incident before ... and it's even uglier than a bananna barrel.

FinsnFur

Quote from: OKTrap on November 21, 2006, 07:10:13 AM

Ted told me that the newer barrel designs are made to do that so that the bolt doesn't come back through your face. It's a safety feature no doubt ... but a very "Eye Opening" one.

I don't know exactly how it's made in order to do that ... but I've seen a "bolt meets face" incident before ... and it's even uglier than a bananna barrel.

That is very interesting Reg. Spooky but interesting  :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

paint

holy crap! :shck: im gonna be a little nervous my next few shots