• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Being Retired

Started by JohnP, October 02, 2009, 02:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

I normally do not call Friday through Monday, I'll let things die down and go out Tuesday through Thursday.  However with my wife being laid up with her busted shoulder I have to take advantage of whatever day I can get out.  Two of our daughter came by late morning to take their mom out for brunch.  Grabbed my rifle and caller and out the door I went.  There is a place I like to call in not more than 15 minutes from our drive way.  It's about 3 acres of open prairie surrounded  by cat claw, prickly pear and an assortment of other cactus.  I set the caller (Scorpion) about 35 yards from the prickly stuff and I sat about 50 yards from the caller.  I just knew there had to be something in that thick stuff.  And sure as God made little green apples this guy came charging out.  Although still pretty warm out here, high 80's, low 90's he is starting to fur out pretty good.

Rem Model Seven, 22-250, 55grain Sierra's

I let the caller run for a while and had no takers so as I walked out to fetch my caller this guy came out of the brush.

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HuntnCarve

I take it that javelina wasn't looking to get his ears scratched.  I heard they can be down right nasty little cuss's!  Once again, looks like you had a great time John.  Our fur season won't start here until Oct 24th.  Though we can shoot coyotes year round. 

Dave

bushmaster

Thats awesome!  Great photo of the pig
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

FinsnFur

REAL good pic of the pig.

I love my 55grain Sierra's :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

vvarmitr

How cool is that!  :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing JP!

Tikaani

QuoteAnd sure as God made little green apples

I thought I was the only guy who used this phrase.  

Thanks for sharing John, liked the picture of the javalina.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

JohnP

Well Dave they can be nasty just like any other wild creature if cornered or agitated.   I believe some of the stories  people hear about them are greatly exaggerated.  City folk especially  like to tell tall tales about how they attack them, what they fail to tell ya is that their yappy little dog was the instigator of the attack.  But yes they sure can be nasty.  Many years ago my bird dog tangled with a herd of about 6 and came out on the short end of the stick, over 40 stitches and a permanent limp.  They have a great sense of hearing and smell but relatively poor eyesight.  If the wind is in your favor and you are quite you can get mere feet from them.  I was at about 5 feet when I snapped this picture.   I only hunt them anymore if I have someone who wants the meat, as neither I nor my wife or the dog care to eat them.  Smelly little creatures I can normally smell or hear before I see them.  They do have one redeeming feature, bait!  If we spot a herd while calling we will follow them in hopes that a bobcat, coyote or lion is doing likewise. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

SCcoyotehunter

Ahhh, the elusive Texas field mouse

GunDog

Looks like you had another great day Mr JohnP! I have to agree with ya on the little porker, down right nasty little dudes in our neck of the woods also. Congrats of the yote. Thanks for sharing!

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

nastygunz

Wow, seeing that pig n cactus and all is like a foreign planet it is so different then where I am from...cool pix  :yoyo: