• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Good early Sunday morning hunt

Started by possumal, October 25, 2009, 04:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Had a real productive first stand at first light this morning. Rode my ATV in the dark about 1/4 mile, parked in a swag by a thick brush pile, and slipped on in about 250 yds to my planned setup.  Put the Yote Coyote decoy out with Coyote Urine about 75 yds out into the pasture on the edge of a rise. Placed the CS-24 right behind it in some thick broom sage, and went back to my cushion seat.  Ten minutes later, when it broke day enough to see, I used two howls from my Cronk Little Buffalo howler, followed up by a howl by Brent Saxton on the CS-24 (Sounded great KeeKee).  Waited about 4 to 5 minutes just watching, then went to the Coyote and Fawn Foxpro sound, mixed with Fawn Distress.  About two minutes into the sequence, a big pair entered the pasture about 250 yds up the hill from my perch, and another pair came from the opposite end of the pasture and stopped about 500 yds away and started lighting it up.  I muted the caller, which stopped the two closer to me, and busted the big old male at about 200 yds,  the female took off, and I hit the Ki-Yi on my mouth diaphragm, and she stopped at about 230 yds, and I put one in her boiler room.

Since I had left my camera home, I elected to drag in just the female as she had an outstanding coat.  Here are some pretty good pictures of her, and I plan on skinning her tonight and tanning the hide, maybe make a rug. She is one of prettier coyotes I have seen.

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

weedwalker

WTG Al  :yoyo: That's a big female. I like the camo on your new rifle too.

Frogman

Good shooting there possumal.  Thanks for the educational write up and photos!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

pitw

:yoyo: She is a pretty yote alright.  Good for you possumal.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

About time you got off your pouch and in the woods where possums belong..... :innocentwhistle:

WTG AL ...... :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

possumal

Alscalls Al, that shows to go you that you ain't no possum expert!  :laf: We don't sit on our pouch; we hang by our prehensile tail with kind of an upside down view of things.  With everything being wrong side up in the world today, that double negative puts things right.  Problem is my prehensile tail has been reduced to a knub going up and down ladders like a "Hooman bean" too much.  Its hard being an educated marsupial in a crazy world!   :laf: :eyebrownod: :nono:  Not too long ago, some smart arse sent me a can of "Eat more possum" with the easy opening can.  Trying to make poor old Possumal a cannibal!!  :biggrin:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

alscalls

I was gonna say butt but pouch sounded better.......... :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

JohnP

Thanks for the story and pictures.  Did ya put her on a scale and why are ya dragging a critter ya want to skin?  If'n you should drag a critter out here through the sand, rocks and cactus you ain't got nothing left when you get to the truck. :doh2:  Nice looking rifle.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

possumal

John P, I didn't drag her actually. I use one of those Loren Reese yote carriers, but I sure am glad I didn't have to tote her too far, especially with her being the funkiest smelling yote I have smelled.  I just wanted to skin her to make a rug as I never sell fur.  If I get a nice pelt, which is seldom around Kaintucky, I have a felow with 9 kids who comes and gets them and skins them for the market.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

GunDog

That is a big ole girl, pretty too. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story.