• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

I got in the mood again

Started by bigben, November 09, 2009, 11:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Not sure if anyone remembers but a few years ago I was making howlers on a very limited basis.  I made em basically for my call bag because I wanted something that had a certain sound.  well one of my most favorite howlers are the ELK power howlers.  I made a two for myself back two years ago.  since then I never made anymore.  I had several people offer me some big bucks for em.  I am kinda put back by it though.  Well after two years of not smelling that burning horn smell I just happened to pick the dremel tool up and a cow horn I had laying around on Sunday.  and this is what I made.

it is a cream brownish horn that I fitted a elk inc power howler mouthpiece to.  What prompted me to make this is our state predator association has a hunt this weekend and I was gonna braid a three drop lanyard for the door prize table.  Well two weekends ago I was at a buddies camp.  after playing around with some howlers that Sunday night messing with a local group of coyotes my buds were wondering where they could buy one at.  Before I referred em to Brent Saxton.  as that was the only person I knew that was making them.  along with Higgins.  but I think you need to be on a list to receive a Higgins howler.  So I said you know what I am gonna make one so anyone in the PPHA would have a chance at one.  

The only thing I have never been able to figure out is a way to attach it to a lanyard.  I was thinking of drilling a hole in the middle of the horn and running a piece of para cord through and knotting it.  but I think it looks kinda odd.  I tried grinding a groove around the outside of the call body but I never liked the look either.  

some particulars on it.  I bought the horn already finished from crazy crow trading post.  the whole call is 6.5 inches long roughly.  I scalloped the end for looks.  finish is not a high gloss but it is a polished horn.  anyone that has heard a ELK power howler just think of one of those on steroids.  The horn really makes the sound carry.

I just wanted to show it off a bit.  any constructive criticism is welcome.  I do not have any at all to sale or trade.  and I am not sure if I will make another one for a while.

Thanks for looking.

edit to add: I would like to thank rich cronk for a bit of help.  I got a bit careless with the dremel and got some nicks in the horn and I wanted to get rid of em.  so he provided some insight on polishing the horn again.  Thanks rich.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

HaMeR

Somebody will be happy with that one.  :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Jeb

Good job Ben !  :highclap:
               Jeb

Yotehntr

:yoyo:  Heck ya, Great looking howler Ben!   :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

bigben

"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

golfertrout

i like the elk howlersand they would be awsome with the cow horn :yoyo:

alscalls

I bet that sounds real nice...... :eyebrow:   Bring it down and I will slobber all over it.... :biggrin:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

bigben

yep it does sound nice and smooth.  I showed another fellow predator hunter how to use one and on the second try he had a decent sounding howl.  they are not hard to learn to use if you have someone show you how to use one right.  I might have to post a video clip then of some howling on a power howler.   :wo:

vvarmitr

John_NY

Nice looking call. I'd really enjoy seeing a video on howling with that call.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

iahntr

Actually never tried one before.
Hook us up with that video.  :biggrin:
Scott

centerfire_223

Ben I take my lanyard and loop it in the rings on the mouth piece. The chord will fall right into one of the grooves, nice and tight. Works great for mine. I will try and get a picture of it for you.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

FinsnFur

I got one of these from Brent when he was making them.
Very difficult to master, but once they are mastered they are unbelievably easy to blow.

In fact there's a video floating around of me howling with mine, then I take it out of my mouth, turn it upside down and howl again never losing a pitch.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

here is the final product.  I decided to braid a laynard as well.

bigben

I have some clips on here using the elk power howler.  not sure where there at.  I might do a little instructional vid then.  I had a buddy making a decent howl in two trys on a spare I have. 

bigben

John_NY

That sounds nice. Thanks for posting the sound clip.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.