• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I have this scope, this rifle and a question

Started by slagmaker, January 12, 2010, 12:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slagmaker

I have this scope :shrug: this rifle and a question.

OK I got's in my possession's a god old fashon Marlin 336C in that there 35Rem cal. I also have's in my possession's a new fangled Bushnell Banner 2-6X36mm Shotgun scope.

Now the question. Would this scope be a good match for this rifle? Would the scope be too much, to little or some other problem?

My thoughts:
Would the recoil from the rifle be of a sort that would damage the scope?  The lever action has a diffrent recoil than a shotgun. OR does it? Have to shoot them side by side and find out.
    Dont say recoil is recoil cause you know it aint.  :noway:

Would the magnifacation of the scope be enough, too much?

Any thoughts, suggestions or WTF's?

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

vvarmitr

Just sell it to me & there won't be any worries for ya!  :eyebrow:

The scope can hand shotgun recoil it'll handle the rifle. :wink:
The the power range (2-6) is excellent IMO. :eyebrow:
The concern I would have is the eye relief.   :wo:

Personally, on a sweet little brush gun like that I don't know that I'd put a scope on it.
But if I did it would be a 2-7X Burris Compact scope. :dance:

slagmaker

Sell it to you?! Nah I dont think I would want the extra worries of you being without in these troubled echenomic times  just to take on my burden.

Thanks for the kind gesture tho.

The idea of leaving the scope off and just useing iron sights is appealing. But age is starting to creap up on me and my eybubbles aint quite what they once were.

Eye relief is a worry, dont want to damage said eybubble or area near afformentioned eybubble.

Recoil really isnt so much a concern as much as a passing curriosity. But I do know that if it aint built for the type of recoil you subject it to then your just looking through a tube.

HaMeR

I have a Bushnell Banner shotgun scope on my 50cal ML. I shot 10rds of 325gr HP's with a tight sabot over 100grs of fffg Triple7. It was all I wanted to do to push them down the tube. They printed 2" at 50yds. And they sucked to shoot!!  Then I went back to the 240gr'ers for deer with 90grs of the same powder & the scope was still set 1" high at 100yds if this helps any. The only adjustments to my scope was after removing the action from the stock & setting it back it.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

I think it'd be a good set up. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong,
but don't all rifles and shotguns have the same type of recoil, just
more or less of it depending on caliber? The ones with different recoils
would be an air rifle (pellet gun) or a crossbow.
Scott

topdawg

my grandpa had a old sweet 16 shotgun that had its on distinctive recoil....its like it kicked twice
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

slagmaker

Only diffrence I could think of in recoil would be the shotgun may have a more drawn out recoil and a rifle would be quicker somehow.

HaMeR

The big bores seem to come straight back. The lighter faster bores seem to want to twist & rise during the rearward motion. But that's just the way I perceive it.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Topdawg, that double kick sensation would be the gun throwing you back, and then you jerking yourself back to the gun  in attempt to regain composure. :roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

The 2nd kick was when he landed on his butt!!  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

vvarmitr

Quote from: slagmaker on January 12, 2010, 08:14:31 PM
Only diffrence I could think of in recoil would be the shotgun may have a more drawn out recoil and a rifle would be quicker somehow.
You're right.  Shotgun scopes are built tougher to withstand the longer recoil time.  Plus you're shooting projectiles measured in ounces instead of grains. :readthis:

Iahntr is correct from what I understand about air guns.  They have a double recoil in that they recoil back then forward or v/v. :shrug:
This isn't to be confused w/ the double kick Topdawg got.  He probably had it coming. :laf:

HaMeR

The springer air rifles recoil forward due to the spring being released to propel the projectile forward. I don't know about the compressed air guns tho.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

Yeah I would think that the recoil wouldnt be a problem for it. BUT It never hurts to get more information and opinions.

pitw

Quote from: slagmaker on January 13, 2010, 08:44:00 AM
Yeah I would think that the recoil wouldnt be a problem for it. BUT It never hurts to get more information and opinions.

Try getting them from Semp :laf: :laf:
I say what I think not think what I say.

topdawg

on his shotgun the barrel move in to eject the shell.....there is only one gun that has put me on my back side...it was a single shot 10 gauge... one shot and i had enough
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

AGH

Quote from: iahntr on January 12, 2010, 06:43:50 PM
I think it'd be a good set up. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong,
but don't all rifles and shotguns have the same type of recoil, just
more or less of it depending on caliber? The ones with different recoils
would be an air rifle (pellet gun) or a crossbow.

iahntr,

Regarding an air rifle recoil, it really depends on the specific type of air rifle. I have three (soon to be four) air rifles and two are spring rifles. The spring rifles (or "springers" as they are called) will have a dual recoil. The internal spring piston will recoil forward and reverse. The heavy recoil springers are also called scope killers because of this dual recoil.

There are big bore PCP rifles that have a recoil.
Hope that helps...
Blessings,
Air Gun Hunter

iahntr

Welcome AGH !
I thought there was something different about the recoil in an air rifle,
just wasn't exactly sure what it was.  :eyebrownod:
Scott