• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

CrAzY LoCaLs

Started by Silencer, December 30, 2009, 06:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Been in the single digits and teens but these guys are still hanging tough !!!  If they'd feed/get out of town for a spell I'd give them a reason to leave  :eyebrow:

pitw

Open water don't give them much of a reason to leave.  They stay all winter up here west of me at a power plant on the cooling pond. :shrug:
I say what I think not think what I say.

HaMeR

Shoot em Vic!! Shoot em all I say!!  :laf: :laf:

Flush em out & wait for their return. Aint no shame in bushwhackin!!  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Silencer

they'd have me arrested for sure, that's an island just above the bridge that connects the 2 towns right in the borough lol  There's the local sewing factory  ( 15 employee maybe ) within 50yds of this picture, I was in the parking lot.

I've thought of sitting on the borough line and having someone try to flush them up river but then again when I see them fly up river they're always right over the water and I'd never retreive the downed birds. 

Hawks Feather

Quote from: Silencer on December 30, 2009, 08:04:48 AM
I've thought of sitting on the borough line and having someone try to flush them up river but then again when I see them fly up river they're always right over the water and I'd never retreive the downed birds. 

Many years ago when we hunted ducks on the river we would take along a rod and reel with a heavy floating plug on it.  When one went down in the water you cast out and bring the plug in over the bird.  Sounds sort of weird, but it worked - fishing for dead ducks.

Jerry

slagmaker

The other day I was going to town very early in the morning and saw some ducks and a swan frozen in place. We had a hard freeze that night. When we came back all but the swan were loose from the ice.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

HaMeR

sssshhhhhh

air rifle    :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

That'd be weird Slag, so they just got froze in putzing around in the open water? :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Silencer

tundra or trumpeters ???   curious as well.  Never seen waterfowl frozen in.  I posted some trumpters up a year or 2 ago that were placed on a "reintroduced" type of thing to see if they'd migrate with the geese but they're still around and put them in a barn for over the winter. 

slagmaker

Yep Open water on a farm pond. Its not the first time I have ever seen it. First time I have ever seen a swan frozen in though. When we came back through you could see the "holes" where the ducks were. The swan was still there with its head laying on the ice. Came back past the pond later in the day and the swan was gone and most of the ice had melted. As to what type of ducks/geese they were. I am pretty sure they were the kind that fly and swim. I am not up on my water fowl.  :shrug:

It was a real quick snap of cold. I think it got down to the low teens that night with no wind. I know this pond usually has open water on it cause the farmer has a wind mill that aireates the pond. usually the area over the bubbler the water stayes open. This time it didnt.

Coulter

I think I'm going to try my late season honey hole one last time tomorrow and see if there are any birds there. If there is any open water they will be there. Hope ya get out another  time or two Vic.

Steve

Silencer

Slag, wish you had a camera, i'd be  :roflmao: at them pic's.... notin' like shootin' a duck on the water........ cept frozen in the ice !!!!!   

Steve, that local flock and a few drake common and hooded mergs' all thats left around here.  I'd love to get me a drake merg for the wall.   Might just do that before the season's over.   

slagmaker

I keep a camera on me now. Just like a cell phone. I go past that pond often and I think the feathered animals that are there are kind of domesticated. Not sure. BUT if'n it happens again I will be ready.

Coulter

QuoteI'd love to get me a drake merg for the wall.

Like this one...I just got this little beauty back from last season. I'm still waiting on my Oldsqaws...

pitw

I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Yeah, that turned out nice :congrats:
Very nice
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Thats nicely done Steve.  :congrats: You better hang on to the dude that did that.  :sneer:

Silencer

agree, that's one I want and is still hanging around !!!