• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Rumors of bobcat season in IL?????

Started by lankrod, January 19, 2007, 07:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankrod

Does anyone have any knowledge or rumors of a future bobcat season in Illinois? The last two years I've talked to Forest Service biologists who tell me they hear it should be "soon".  It can't be soon enough!!!!

I took a vacation day Wednesday, figuring it should be some good calling, after the front, and with some cooler weather.  Made quite a few stands, in areas that have produced in the past, but saw 0 coyotes.  I did call in 2 bobcats, on seperate stands.

The first cat showed up after a minute of calling, and stalked the JIB.  He ended up sitting about 3 feet from it.  I had borrowed an e-caller from one of my calling buddies, and I started switching sounds on it.  It didn't even phase the cat - he was just mesmorized by the rotating furball. It was pretty funny, and would have made some good footage for a video. 

The second cat showed up at dark, after a long stand, nearing 40 minutes.  Near dark, I did some howling, and got a conversation going with a couple of groups.  The JIB is still sitting in an opening running.  After nearly 10 minutes of off and on howling, I hear something trotting toward the JIB, and here comes mr. bobcat.  Who knows how long he had been sitting, out of sight, watching the decoy! I would GUESS at least 30 minutes.

I should start keeping some records, as I can recall at least 6 other cats this season that have been sighted within killing range.  Those are just the ones I can recall. 

Oh well - just had to vent!!  Any other Illinois hunters seeing a lot of cats?  It's REAL tempting to hunt TN side this year at LBL to try for a cat.

FinsnFur

Where you at in Illinois Lankrod? I'm assuming your pretty far south.
I'm just across your northern border and we have only rare occasional, unconfirmed sightings of cats.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

lankrod

I'm in Southern Illlinios - a little town called Crab Orchard, about 6 miles East of Marion.  Just over an hour to the Northern part of LBL, and about an hour and a half from St. Louis.  Look forward to meeting you at LBL.