• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First KY double, First blood for the DTech 17 Rem upper!

Started by Kytimberman, February 14, 2007, 10:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kytimberman

Got to combine a little fun with work today, looking at timber and huntin at the same time.  Came off this hardwood ridge, the wind was at my back out of the north, so I skirted wide along the property line, as I knew there was a good sized grown up bottom down below.  When I got down to the edge of it there was a nice bush hogged strip stretched out in front of me, about 75 feet wide, with about a 6-7 year grown up rough on either side, full of briars and brush, and looking like prime small game cover.  I noticed that standing on the edge of the bottom, at the foot of the hill, that the north wind was eddying over the timberline right back in my face, but 50 yards down the mowed strip it was at my back again.  Hoping that eddy would suffice to keep my scent from blowing right down what looked to be a great shooting lane, I set up at the foot of the hill under a leaning tree that made great cover over and behind me.  With the wind blowing 10-15 today, I had figured it might be a good day to switch to the E-caller, so the Loudmouth was set up 80 yds. out front, in the mowed strip, which had sprouts of broom straw scattered all down it's length.  It was about 3:00, and I hit the lone howl(Yeah, that was you on there, Kee).  Waited about 4-5 minutes, with nothing showing, so I hit the pup distress sound.  I had hardly taken my finger off the button and out from the brushy area zips a coyote, heading straight at me, then another, and then another!  I hit the mute as they closed fast from almost 300 yds out.  The safety on my Colt AR with the new and yet-to-be-bloodied DTech 17 Remy upper clicked off, and I'm thinking "don't shoot the lead dog, go for #2 or three", when #2 and 3 hesitated, with #1 coming on steady and fast.  I almost barked to stop him, but it was dead on, the crosshairs were right on it's chest and not leaving it, so I waited another second and touched 'er off at maybe 75 yds.  #1 folded up in it's tracks, and the other two did an about-face, heading back down the cleared strip at warp speed, with me sending 30 gr. Bergers at them as fast as I could.  I saw #2 go down, and at the same instant #3 made it back into the brush.  The second one was struggling to follow it, and every time it would get up I'd shoot again.  It was a good 300 yds out, and I know I missed a few times, but on the last shot I thought it went down for good, and I felt the bolt lock open.  Out of bullets, and since that sort of thing has never happened before, I hadn't brought any spares!  I got up and walked down the cleared strip, past #1, which was DRT, got almost to #2 when the darn tough thing gets up AGAIN, it's half running, half falling.  "Great, I thought, outa bullets and here I am chasing down a badly wounded coyote, what am I gonna do if I catch it"?   I broke off a dead polar sapling that was nearby, and took off after it hoping it would serve as a club for a coup-de-grace.  As soon as I got close, #2 cut right into the godawfelest briar patch ever seen, which was so think even a rabbit would avoid it.  I looked at it and thought "you stay right there, I'll be right back".  Dragging #1 back up the hill to the truck, I reloaded, came back down, waded into the briar patch, and was about to grab the what I thought to be dead by now coyote, when it raised it's head and bared it's teeth!  One more Berger and that was that, mercy those things can be tough!  My first double ever, if i had been better at shooting under pressure it coulda been a triple, but I'm not complaining! 

FinsnFur

:yoyo:  :yoyo: :yoyo:

:highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
Awesome write up KY~. Man that was some good reading  :eyebrow:

Picturing the whole thing as I read, it's probably a good thing there was no video with your story.  :roflmao:

Excellent job...I aint, I say I aint never had a triple.  :nono:
Thanks for sharing.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

In my best Chris Farley voice, "That wuz AWESOME"!!!!!
Way to go.... :highclap: :congrats: :yoyo:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

CCP

Great story! like said above I felt like I was there. So I gather your liking the Dtech AR I sure been pondering one of them.

Keepim comin
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

blakcoyote

Great story,and good job. :yoyo: :yoyo:
I could picture it real well. :congrats:

DirtyDog

stevecriner

" I love coyote huntin",and the folks that learned me the way"

Hunters Specialties
"For Sportsman, by Sportsman"

Jimmie in Ky

That should make any remaining flu symptoms disapear  :eyebrownod: I missed you during the hunt. We needed another good man to teach the newbies something. And congrats on that first double. Your having  a few too many good days this year aint ya  :wink: Jimmie

keekee

Congrads! :yoyo:

Thats was a great write up! I enjoyed every line!

Thats cool on the sound as well! Glad to be part of it! Thanks!

Brent

Bills Custom Calls

That was some good writing I enjoyed the story and congrats on the double

Bill
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Todd Rahm

:congrats: Hey thats super KY, nice job and nice read'n.  :congrats:

Be safe,
Todd

PS want to sell that Rhino ya got from Walt?  :biggrin:

ilcoyote

way to go!! Sorry I have'nt been in touch, damn work has been messing up this season.