• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Blackwood and Cocobolo

Started by Hawks Feather, March 22, 2007, 05:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawks Feather

I know that Arky likes smaller calls, but I don't know if others do or not.  Without the toneboard, this Blackwood and Cocobolo is 2 1/2 inches long.  Kind of a "mini" version of my normal calls.  This one still has a lot of work to be done before it will be declared ready to move to a higher level, but I thought I would go ahead and post an early picture.  I am headed to Seattle to the national principal's convention next week and won't get time to post a picture of it later anyway.  This one has the 10w30 oil finish  :wink:  started, but has only been sanded to 320.  Sorry about the  lean on the .243 - he is getting tired.

Thanks for looking,

Jerry

bowjunkie

:shck: now thats a right perty lil call there Jerry one I would love to add to the collection  :biggrin:

Bob D

Lookin good Jerry ! You got my address right?

THO Game Calls

She's a looker for sure!   Really nice combination of woods again.

I think, and this is just an opinion from working with a lot of tone boards and call designs, that the reason a lot of call makers - and mostly all call companies ( show me one commercial open reed with a  long barrel) is that the short call bodies are much easier to tune.  Since there is no back pressure, the tone boards don't transmit the pitch breaks as much as they would in a longer call barrel with more back pressure to contend with.  Shorter barrles are also easier, I think, to hold and allow you to use your hands to help vary the pitch of the call, but your hands can cause back pressure too.  There is a trade off in volume, but not as much as some would think.  The shorter call barrels also give a truer representation of the pitch of the tone board.   So a high pitched call will sound higher pitched in a short call than it will in a longer call and a melow tone board will sound even lower pitched and more mellow in a longer barreled call.  The same is true of the overall crispness of the call.   Shorter, more crisp, longer, less so. 

No matter - it is a very nice looking call.   

Looks like the wide reed would give it some good volume and the narrow tip some sharpness in the high end.   

Looks like you added a little detail to where the tone board insserts.  A little rim up there?  And I really like the bevel on the bell end of the call.   Both give it a touch of class.  I also like the way you matched the orientation of the grain in the cocobolo so that it all flows the same direction.  A lot of times you don't see that and it is a nice detail that makes the call more eye catching.

I think you must be slipping though - your bullet doesn't look as shiney as it usually does  :roflmao:

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

keekee

Very nice call Jerry. I haft to agree with Al that the grain in the woods flow very well togeather!

Brent

Arkyyoter

I just simply like it Jerry.....I like shorter calls for many reasons, not the least of which is the fact they are very handy, I prefer the sound qualities ( for distress/bird sounds), and I personally find shorter open reed calls to be aesthetically pleasing....enclosed reed calls seem to beg for a little length, while open reeds are more pleasing to my eye in a shorter, more compact shape.

Joe

BryanStanley

Very interesting combination there Jerry. The wood grain really does flow nicely. BTW when are you going to breeak out that acrylic?.................lol

Hawks Feather

Thanks for the comments on the call.  After noticing that the grain did not match up very well on my first laminated calls, I have become mush more conscious about it and try to do a little better in that area.

Al, thanks for the information on the differences between shorter and longer calls.  I copied it and put it in my "call reference" folder on the computer.  Since I am already in the early stages of CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) that file will help me in the future.  I have been experimenting with the rim by the tone board and think I like it.  I also like the change on the bell end of the call.  Now as for that .243 all I can say is that it needs help.  It used to be pretty clean cut and then it started running around at night.  I thought that having it both spayed (removed the powder) and neutered (no primer) that it would not end up like it currently is.  I will be having some more talks with it and hope that it will come clean before more pictures are taken.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com