• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Homemade e-caller help

Started by clubmkred, August 23, 2010, 11:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clubmkred

Okay, so I posted a little while back that I successfully called in my first coyote on my very first hunt. I did that using a homemade e-caller copied off of the Varmint Al's website. Using an old mp3 player (very hard to use), I downloaded mp3 sounds from the various websites. I followed one of his "playlist" that he had offered as an example with one exception. Most of those playlists are geared toward western coyotes, so I substituted jack rabbit calls with cottontails. I think the segment ran for about 16 minutes (give or take). I know that a lot of you use FoxPro’s or some other high quality callers with remotes, volume controls, etc. Since I don't have remote features, I am forced to create a playlist that will run for a specific set of sounds and times.

Not really knowing what sounds I should be using in what sequence, I am looking for a little advice on creating what some of you may consider to be an effective call sequence. I have the ability to have 1 minute worth of silence and up by combing the silence sequences together to create a specific amount of time. Usually, I have about 8-10 worth of silence in the beginning of the sequence for me to get back into position and ready for the calling to start.

For example: should I start the sequence with a howl or bird distress or rabbit distress, etc? And how long should that call be? Most downloadable calls are anywhere from 10 seconds to 1 minute. I could combine the short ones to make a much longer sequence. Then comes the question of how long should the silence be between calls? Should I switch up after a few minutes and go with some other distress? Should it be continuous with one type of distress or should it have short breaks, and then go to another type of sound? How many different sounds can you use until it becomes counterproductive.
I know a lot of this depends on the area, but I was just looking for ideas for creating my next call sequence.  Anything helps.

KySongDog

Me thinks you may be trying to over think this predator calling thing.   :biggrin:

Most distress sounds work.  Some better than others depending on where you are at.   

The biggest factor in calling is getting within hearing distance of callable coyotes.  So figuring out what areas hold coyotes is the real key.

Of course, YMMV. 

Good Hunting. 

clubmkred

Gotcha.. see, that's why I ask the experts.

KySongDog

I am FAR, FAR, FAR from being an expert in anything let alone coyote calling.   :nono:

But there are some REAL coyote experts on this board and I am sure they will give you some good advice.

The best teacher is practical experience in the field.  Figuring out what works, doesn't work for your individual hunting area.  Only you can do that.

Hidehunter

I'm not even close to being an expert either but I do know that my favorite distress call is Jackrabbit and I'm from WV.  We dont have Jack rabbits but dont tell the yotes that!
Denver                                           

Jimmie in Ky

The sound you use doesn't really matter that much. I usually use just one sound. I do however prefer higher pitched sounds such as bird distress and baby cottontail.

Most important thing of all is to be where htey can hear it. Do the leg work and get out at night and listen for howls. Locating them is hte hard part in the east. I don't know what the population is in your area but they can have a territory of 20 or so square miles . Thats a lot of country to look over to find six or seven dogs. Jimmie

JohnP

Trial and Error and Patience.  What works for me may not work for you.  I don't howl very much at all, although this yeat I'm going to give it a go since I got two new howlers.  I get a lot of response from cottontail in distress and coyotes pups in distress and I call loud and long and continous.  Like Semp said don't over think this game.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

clubmkred

I guess being new to this, it is easy to overthink things. When it comes to rabbit distress calls, I have a friend that is telling me not to call any louder than a real rabbit could scream. Says that their lungs are only so big, and cannot make a noise as loud as what the caller can. I understand that theory to a point, but if you can't project that sound into dense woods to get to the yotes, then they may never hear the call to begin with. So then what do you do?

vayotehowler

u can remote u call by rigging a wireless microphone set up mine goes out to like to 150 to 200 feet

coyotehunter_1

Ed, these guys are giving you excellent advise. Don't burn yourself out trying too hard to understand all you read and hear about calling, it's not magic or rocket science. Just keep at it, take your time, enjoy being in the field. Trust me... everything will come together. 

Think back to where you were when you called in that first coyote. How you were set up and what you were doing... it worked once and it will most likely work again.

By the way... I doubt any of us will ever consider ourselves experts when it comes to coyotes. :wink:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

Quote from: clubmkred on August 24, 2010, 08:07:51 PM
I guess being new to this, it is easy to overthink things. When it comes to rabbit distress calls, I have a friend that is telling me not to call any louder than a real rabbit could scream. Says that their lungs are only so big, and cannot make a noise as loud as what the caller can. I understand that theory to a point, but if you can't project that sound into dense woods to get to the yotes, then they may never hear the call to begin with. So then what do you do?

Generally, rule of thumb is to start out with low volume, cause yes you can't help but to think that if a coyote is near and you crank it up to reach the Appalachians, he's going to make a B line for Dodge :laf:

So you start out low volume, make a couple sequences, and turn it up every 20 minutes or so and start a new sequence.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

Coyote hunting is kinda like building a hand call ........... in that you should spend more time, looking for supplies, setting up, drilling, putting on finish......ect. Than you do actually making the call.
Scout, scout, scout.......... then make a Good plan.
The call you use is not that big a deal.........
Hunt when you have time, Hunt hard when your scouting says you can, and have fun!
Its all worth the effort as soon as you leave the truck.......... Killing something is just a bonus. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

clubmkred

Quote from: alscalls on August 25, 2010, 05:51:12 AM
Coyote hunting is kinda like building a hand call ........... in that you should spend more time, looking for supplies, setting up, drilling, putting on finish......ect. Than you do actually making the call.

I have been doing some scouting. Finding fresh scat, some tracks, worn trails. I want to scout more, go deeper, find those areas that are infested with coyotes. BUT, how far do you go before you do more harm than good. If their nose is that sensitive, then obviously they will know that you were there. Will that chase them away from the area you just scouted? I was following some trails this morning, which I believe to be some travel lanes. I was physically on them, following them until I found positive signs that it was used by coyotes. But with my scent being left behind, are they going to avoid use of those trails in favor of another that I was not on?

pitw

Quote from: clubmkred on August 25, 2010, 01:01:21 PM
Quote from: alscalls on August 25, 2010, 05:51:12 AM

I have been doing some scouting. Finding fresh scat, some tracks, worn trails. I want to scout more, go deeper, find those areas that are infested with coyotes. BUT, how far do you go before you do more harm than good. If their nose is that sensitive, then obviously they will know that you were there. Will that chase them away from the area you just scouted? I was following some trails this morning, which I believe to be some travel lanes. I was physically on them, following them until I found positive signs that it was used by coyotes. But with my scent being left behind, are they going to avoid use of those trails in favor of another that I was not on?

I am going to post now cause i may be of some assistance.  I trap/snare a few coyotes every year and as I live where there is a bit of an advantage to seeing tracks[snow] I'll let you know what I see.  Yes coyotes can and will quit using a track you follow sometimes but they generally only move over a few yards and parallel the trail here.  Others could seem to care less about my past foot prints and often pay the price with their hide.  Remember that coyotes eat off porch's, decks and garbage cans so they can do as they please in the bush too.   :wink:
I say what I think not think what I say.

Okanagan

Remarkably good info in these replies.  Unusual for the innernet!

clubmkred, if you have heard a rabbit in distress in the wild, caught by a snake or hawk for example, they usually make one brief squeal.  If you add other sounds, like a coyote pup, etc. you make it sound like maybe a coyote has caught a rabbit.  Add some more sounds, like bird, etc. and it sounds like a convention.  I don't think animals are smart enough to decide that it is not logical to have a bunch of critter kinds all making noise together, but it probably isn't necessary.

Less is more.

I differ with some, but I like to make the minimal sound to get the animal to come because every sound more than that is unnecessary and gives him more of my fake sound to perhaps ID.  Yet I let electronics go continuously (because it is easier) except to stop and listen for 30-60 seconds every three minutes or so.  With hand calls, I call 10-20 seconds with about a minute of silence between.  Each of our different styles described here calls critters.  

Before electronic calls, people called animals for centuries with one or sometimes two kinds of sounds per stand.  Electronics let us play with tons of sounds, and we have discovered that animals come anyway.    :laf:  Coyotes are SO intelligent and curious, that I am convinced that sometimes the reason they come is curiosity, not hunger, sex, aggression, territory etc. but pure D curiosity to see what the heck is going on with all those sounds over there!

alscalls

Being as we do not have thousands of acres to hunt here in WV, yet we have small plots of land in several areas broken up all over the place any where from 30 acres to 3-400 acres.
We will spend an afternoon scouting a piece of land and then we will decide when to come back from what we learned.
I believe you should leave the calls and guns at home and just scout.
Seeing as I have only disturbed the dogs for one afternoon, I really never worry that I have been busted..... Thats just me, But it is usually a week or so before we get after em anyway, and it is the coyotes home..... If they live there....They will come back. :eyebrownod:
AL

Jimmie in Ky

I dont think you can stink things up that bad when it comes to hunting coyotes. In Barry's ccase , the ones to the side of the trail could very well have been follwoing him or came by shortly after he checked his lines. When you have a coyote for every 1/4 mile things are really diferent. More than once we have been having a discussion and he would tell me they were talking right outside his yard.

Think south facing slopes, heavy cover, way out there, when it comes to your local animals.

And if your buddy heard me call he would go home.  I hunt where I need to get their attention most of the time. You will find your own style as we have. Jimmie

clubmkred

Quote from: alscalls on August 26, 2010, 06:42:43 AM
But it is usually a week or so before we get after em anyway, and it is the coyotes home..... If they live there....They will come back. :eyebrownod:

That's bring up another point. How often do you guys call a particular stand or piece of property? I have been told not to revisit the same area for about three to four weeks. I have ben out a couple times in the past few weeks, maybe I am over hunting it.

alscalls

I feel that if you are hunting a piece of ground more than 3-4 times a year it too much......... But I have seen folks shoot a coyote the day after shooting one in the very same spot......
It has been my long term result ......... Around here anyway....... that over hunting your ground can put you in for a very long dry spell. So I have cut way back on my outings and really work on my scouting and planning. As well as always looking for new ground to hunt.
And a lot of folks say " if the wind is bad for that spot........ Dont hunt it "  But I have seen very few head to it....... Hard to do when you just paid almost $3 a gal. to get there..... :laf:  So try to always have a plan "B" for every spot. :wink:
AL

Jimmie in Ky

I would say once or twice a month in most cases. But I have called an area everyday for a week and got most of the group there. It is up to you really.

A certain property in hte area may be good for mornings while another nearby is best in hte afternoon. All depending on hte winds. If you can find that bedding area I feel it is best to call it in hte afternoon hours.

If you spend enough time with one group , listening, scouting and talking to landowners you can learn a lot more than what we can put down in words in a season. You can then take what you learn about that group and apply it just about anywhere , with some minor diferences. Jimmie