All gave some and some gave all
And some stood through for the red, white and blue
And some had to fall
And if you ever think of me
Think of all your liberties and recall
Some gave all "

Billy Ray Cyrus "Some Gave All"

FOsteology

Looking back on my life I suppose I was tempered in the fires of military service as both a military brat (Father was a career soldier) and as a soldier. I am thankful for the privilege I had to serve our country. I did my small part, and helped to maintain the shield of freedom that my loved ones and countrymen could enjoy. I am a Veteran, but consider my service in many respects to be "second class". I did all that was asked of me, and did it well, but the questions that were asked were easy, and I served primarily during a time of peace.

I was never handed live ammunition and placed in a position to use it. I was never sent on an assignment where there was a real possibility that I might not return. For me, a duty assignment to another country meant meeting new people, and experiencing new foods and new cultures. To some however, the assignments given meant being in harm’s way, and they willingly went, some never to return....

All throughout our nation’s history, there have been those who would take away our freedoms, and during those times, men and women have volunteered to stand between our nation and those who would change it. They knew that it might cost them their life, but loved our nation and its principles so much that they went anyway.

This Memorial Day, I pause to pay respect to and reflect upon the sacrifices made by those who never came back. They stood in defense of Liberty. As a Veteran, my greatest level of respect and honor goes to them. Today, my children grow in the freedoms that I enjoyed in my youth, because men and women gave their lives to guarantee those freedoms. 

nastygunz

" This Memorial Day, I pause to pay respect to and reflect upon the sacrifices made by those who never came back. "

I couldn't agree more..I posted that post because all around me at work and home and everywhere, everyone is excited about the long weekend but nobody seems to think about the Fallen. That really bothers me.

nastygunz

I was mighty proud today when my 14 year old nephew called me and told me he went out with my 11 year old nephew and my brother,their Vietnam Veteran uncle, and helped put flags on the the graves of veterans in the town cemetery for Memorial Day, including his 2 Grandfathers, made me proud and I told him so!

FinsnFur

Absolutely.
A very humbling amen to all those men and woman whom made the ultimate sacrifice.
Fos and Nasty...thank you gentlemen both for your time serving :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

I'll raise a toast on Monday to a few of my friends who never made it home.   I miss them still and always will.

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

John, that picture is very eery and cool at the same time. :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

FOsteology

On Monday at 12:01 pm, the FOst family will be observing a moment of silence for our fallen soldiers.

I humbly ask of my Forum brothers and sisters to please join in on this moment of silence to honor those who did no make it back alive to their family and loved ones.

There is power in silence. No matter where you are this Memorial Day, please gather your friends and family to pause and reflect in honor of all Americans who have given their lives in defense of our country.

We must never let the sacrifices made by so many, be forgotten or ignored by those who take for granted the cost of the freedoms they enjoy. The greatness of this Nation was made possible by the sacrifices of those brave souls who gave all they had to give. Their sacrifice should humble all of us and they deserve every ounce of respect this Nation has to offer.

What they don't deserve, is to be dismissed into insignificance by ungrateful cowards and despicable leaders who have no understanding of honor and self sacrifice willingly given, to ensure the innocent and unborn will also know and experience the greatness of freedom.

Thank you for standing with us, and God Bless and protect all our troops abroad and at home.....

Ladobe

One of my favorite places on earth, and not just on Memorial Day, Independence Day or Veterans Day.   I don't remember a single trip to Hawaii where I was on Oahu for two or more days that I didn't spend an hour walking around Punch Bowl.   It has personal ties from family lost in the Pacific in WWII though, including one on 12/7/41 at Pearl Harbor.    So the Arizona Memorial is another favorite (he was not on the USS Arizona).    An uncle killed in the Korean War is also remembered at Punch Bowl because we have no idea where he was buried.  My father was stationed at Schofield Barracks for a time, was in the first wave attacks on Iwo Jima and to take Nagasaki after Fat Man visited it, but as is obvious he survived the war (I wouldn't be typing this otherwise).   As a Naval Airedale, Vietnam for relatively safe for me.    But I salute all veterans of foreign wars and conflicts for keeping this country free. 
:highclap:

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

FOsteology

Ladobe,

Those pictures bring back some memories....

I lived on Scofield Barracks for 3 1/2 years during the mid to late 70's (father was career Army). I recall making the annual trip down to Honolulu on Memorial Day to pay our respects at the Punchbowl and the USS Arizona Memorial.

The atmosphere in Pearl Harbor during Memorial Day was extremely patriotic, yet somber. The ceremonies, tours, and the tangible and palpable history did indeed leave a lasting and memorable impression...

shaddragger

I have never served but am the proud father of an Airman. I met a man today at a local diner with enough medals on his hat to keep a Trump happy for a while. In our short conversation, he told me he had followed MacArthur and knew Patton, while participating in two campaigns. He never let go of my hand while he talked, and I was galvanized by the rush of history and patriotism I felt listening to him. He noticed my AF hat and inquired about it, and when I told him I was just a supporter of my son he let go of my hand and touched my shoulder and THANKED ME for that. So many of our youth will never understand how great their predecessors truly were if we don't remind them!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

straycat

Memorial Day,,

It's not about BBQ's..

"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

FOsteology

JohnP

Flying FREE and PROUD in Hereford, Arizona.

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Ladobe

FOsteology,
I never got out to Schofield Barracks while I was still in the service, only to Pearl, AZM, PB and of course Wakiki.   But I did go there a couple of times later on business/play trips to HI (a couple of my customers on Oahu was Fort Shafter and Fort DeRussy though).   I was discharged from the Navy a few years before you lived at Schofield Barracks.    Like your half-staff flag (half-mast if on a ship)... proper etiquette.

shaddragger,
Please thank you son for his service.

It's good to see the citizens of this country supporting all veterans again like they did before the Vietnam era.   Vietnam vets were treated like scum when we came home, and it really didn't change much until 911.

Here's a 45 year old picture for you...   In boot camp, besides being the CPO for my company, the first weeks on the primary training side of NTC San Diego I was also the Master at Arms of the Color Guard.   I took this with a camera I snuck into boot when I first arrived (and didn't get caught with all through boot).   It was the same camera BTW that my father carried all through WW II and took all the horrific pictures of Iwo Jima and Nagasaki with.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

iahntr

A Thanks to all for sure !!
Scott