• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

call care

Started by Silencer, November 02, 2010, 07:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

What do you guys use to clean and/or polish up your calls after the season ?   

Thanks

Yotehntr

I'd say the type of finish dictates the answer here... Most of the calls I make I use a CA finish and no real "finish" care is needed.  If you have a call with an oil/wax type of finish I'd suggest something like.... Click here  a little dab will do ya.  :wink:   On those that I make with the CA finish a little furniture polish on a soft rag will spruce 'em up.  Not real sure about other finish's  like lacquer, varnish, and friction polish.  Maybe someone else will have a tip on those. 
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Hawks Feather

I would say that on most calls (CA, oil & wax, lacquer, varnish, and friction polish) you can just wipe them off with a damp cloth and then dry them with a towel.  I have read about, but never used, Howard's.  Unless scratched, an oil & wax finish could be touched up by wiping it off and then putting on a light coat of wax.

I would say that for most calls, a coat of wax won't hurt the call body.  I use a wax on all my calls which usually helps reduce fingerprints from showing up.  After they have been used for awhile they need another coat. 

Jerry

Silencer

Thanks, I've been EXTREMELY rough on my waterfowl calls this year and want to make sure I'll have them for a long time.

Hawks Feather

Do you know what type of finish is on them?

Jerry