• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Another doe

Started by KySongDog, November 14, 2010, 03:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

Killed another doe this morning.  <yawn>  Gun hunting -- bang flop.  Deer hunting for does is like going to the grocery store.  Not much excitement. 

Question:   How many of you guys are former deer hunters because the zing went away for you?   Did coyote hunting cause that?     :wo:

George Ackley

zing went away for you

I still get the fever on every deer ,big ones , little ones .
I cant ever see me stopping.
trophy white are the hardest game i have ever hunted .
I will never stop
Lift Your Truck, Fat Girls Cant Jump

bambam

Congrats on the deer. I agree with George, I still get excited on every deer. Maybe that's why my daughter out-shoots me all the time.  :doh2: :doh2:

Bills Custom Calls

Congrats Semp

The excitement is still there I just don't seem to go out every chance I get like I used to
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

coyotehunter_1

:highclap: Semp, good looking deer.  :congrats:

QuoteHow many of you guys are former deer hunters because the zing went away for you?

To answer your question:
Yes, once upon a time I also counted the hours till deer season opened, no matter... archery, muzzle loader or modern firearm I was there. The last deer I killed was back in the early 80's with a muzzle loader. An easy buck, it walked right under my tree stand. My minnie ball caught him in the top of the skull, square between the horns, a nice 6 pointer. Since that time deer hunting has lost its’ “zing” for me. My dad and I are the only ones left in our family that like to eat deer meat and together we have several generous friends that usually limit out on deer, last year our freezers were full. Never the less I still purchase a deer/gun license every year. Not only does this help support hunting in general but also allows me to legally coyote hunt with a center fire firearm during deer/gun season. Over the last twenty plus years  I've passed on several record book whitetail bucks while calling for coyotes. I never was a trophy deer hunter, but I am pretty passionate about my coyotes.

For me, the thrill of calling in a smart old coyote trumps all the big headed bucks in the woods.

Hi... my name is Chet and yes, I'm a coyoteaholic :biggrin:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

John_NY

I kinda agree with ya semp. With so many deer running around it's more like "time to fill a tag".  I doubt I will ever stop because I like putting the meat in the freezer but it is different then it was up here in the 70's when you could hunt all season and never see a deer. Then when you got one it was a big deal.  Back in the 70's guys would ride around all day with the deer on the trunk showing it off. Maybe it's age now but when the deer drops my first thought is "damn I wish it was closer to the car".  :alscalls: 
   I had 3 tags this year and they are filled so now I can start looking for coyotes. They aren't as plentiful as deer up here so if I get one it's a hoot.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

FinsnFur

Thats exactly why I quit. :eyebrownod: It became boring and there was too many people out there.

I'm reconsidering this year. I'd like to grind up a bunch of burger. Been over 15 years since I hunted a deer.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jeb

Quote from: Semp on November 14, 2010, 03:42:02 PM

Question:   How many of you guys are former deer hunters because the zing went away for you?   Did coyote hunting cause that?     :wo:

LOL you hit it on the nail Semp !  I got it too and have had it for years.
                        Jeb :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Congrats on the deer, but if you want to put some excitement back in it just bring your crossbow to northwest Ohio and I will let you sit and watch a few that are on property that you don't have permission to hunt.  Then when one finally does come by you will be really excited.  Heck what would probably happen is I put you in the stand and about 10 minutes later the 10 point that has been seen in the area would walk up to you and bawl "shoot me!"

Jerry

KySongDog

Oh, I still like bow hunting.  That still revs up the 'ol pump.  But gun hunting a doe doesn't quite to do it for me anymore.   They sure taste good so I guess it isn't all bad.  

FOsteology

Congrats Semp on the "teats up".  :biggrin:

Hunting deer hasn't lost it's appeal nor excitement. If anything, with my two boys getting a little older and more experience, it makes it more enjoyable.
Only issue I have is I haven't put down a good wt buck in 3-4 years. Spend the time trying to ensure my boys have an opportunity. Just have to get the oldest
boy on a buck this year, and then perhaps I'll have an opportunity to give one a dirt nap this season as well.
If not, it'll be "teats up" again as usual.  :laf:

pitw

Semp I have to agree that shooting deer isn't the same for me anymore[I ain't shot one since the kids started bringing in enough meat], I still buy a tag every year and spend a month hunting but I think it's more of an excuse to go out than anything else. 
  Glad you got a doe though as they are better eating in my opinion.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Jimmie in Ky

No it doesn't. Why get up at the crack of dawn when I get one by walking through the woods. Kind of like squirrel hunting. I quit doing that when I could walk through the woods with a revolver and limit out in 30 minutes or so.

My thought to making deer hunting fun again is making my own equipment from scratch and materials on hand. That in itself has been a real learning process. Don't know IF I will ever get one that will shoot or not. But I keep trying. Got a few roughed out curing now as well as plenty of shaft material.

But calling coyotes now. Gettting one up there where I can see the oh crap look in those yellow eyes gets my blood a pumping. That not knowing for certain if I will get a shot or not keeps me going back for more. Can't use hte excuse of I can kill more of them than deer any more. As long as you can pay for tags the number of deer you can take here in a zone one county is unlimited. Jimmie

msmith

I kind of feel like you do Semp, but I still enjoy it and it isn't boring, just sorta lost it's zing. Fortunately, my daughter has really got the bug and is begging me to take her again this year. Between her and the Big Dawg, I am having a ball. BD is getting rather independent, so it is a thrill when he heeds advice, makes it work, and brings something home. With Rosana, I get the adrenalin rush just as if I had the rifle, even with does. Around here it is in the air, so to speak, kind of like Christmas and the schools let the kids have the first day of Buck season off, so that atmosphere helps.

Another thing that helps is using something other than a rifle. Sometimes I use the muzzle loader, sometimes I use a revolver. The handicap helps bring some of the zing back and gives me an excuse to buy more stuff.  :laf:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

vvarmitr

WOW! I can't believe I'm reading this!  :holdon:
Yes, I too could really careless if I deer hunt. Even though I was getting a doe tag today so to get some cheap meat.

I can't  hardly stand the whole deer hunting thing anymore.  :puke:
Just over done!  :noway:

HaMeR

I enjoyed it for a lot of years. Then about 6-8 years ago 2 guys I work with started deer hunting. Now every day during the pre rut thru the rut all I ever hear at work is whining & bawling form a couple big pansies about how they can't hunt thu rut because they have to be at work.  :sad2: I really started getting burnt out on it til Diane decided last year she wanted to try for a deer. Now I'm ready to go any time she is. And I hunt gun season so I can have the week off & get paid for it.  :alscalls: :alscalls:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Roundman

At a boy semp! You ever get tired of shooting deer give me a call I'll shootem for ya. I enjoy the time setting in a treestand watching things happen around me. Shooting the deer is almost secondary. Because of work I've only deer hunted a few days this season. It's been hard to not be in the woods when the trees turned. I always feel like I'm missing that big buck under my stand. We get to hunt Oak Ridge WMA in a few weeks and maybe I'll get lucky there.

alscalls

I tell myself...... Hunting can only get as boring as your bucket list...... I try and challenge myself in new ways every year...... This year....just getting to go is a challenge.... :laf:  So I will stick with going as often as I can....
Most times these days I challenge my self to calling the animals I kill....be it squirrels, deer, coyotes.... whatever....
But the fever to go do any kind of hunting has never failed me yet......and I hope it never does.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

weedwalker

I had kinda lost intrest 5-6 years ago and just started hunting coyotes all year. But this year I kinda got back into bowhunting and am enjoying that. But as soon as I put one in the freezer, it's back to coyote hunting. :yoyo:

Congrats again too Semp. :yoyo: She'll eat good.