• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

The Black Knight

Started by SCcoyotehunter, November 22, 2010, 09:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCcoyotehunter

Hawgmaster and I decided to go back after a Legend this afternoon. Some of you may remember me writing about this famous coyote. We have called him in 3 times without getting him. Somehow he has evaded us, either by dodging bullets or just being smart, but up to today we have called him in on three different occasions. We have since named him "The Black Knight".

Hawgmaster and I have both been fighting the respiratory crud for several weeks now. Now that we are both starting to feel a little better, although not 100%, we decided to head out this afternoon. The setting in a very hilly terrained pasture with rolling bottoms. I knew exactly where these coyotes are denning so it makes it easy to set up and get a response. We parked the truck and both of us are confident that we will see coyotes today. We get all of our gear on and decide to make a new approach to change things up. We start up this enormous hill. Hawgmaster is starting to feel the true anguish from his respiratory cold. It has really taken a toll on him. We had to stop several times on the hike in and out to catch our breathes. As we approached the stand site, Hawgmaster and I pull a new trick from our bag that we like to use. Since we both have digital callers, we used both. We set up in a fenceline with a lot of brush grown in, it really helped breakup our outline since otherwise we were just right out in the open. We start calling. It isn't 10 seconds and we start to get responses all through the bottom in front of us. First some howling then some serious territorial barks from an Ol' Male. It isn't long before "The Black Knight" appears over the hillside and into range. With him is a light grey colored coyote also. The Knight runs into about 85 yards and looks at the decoy and immediately starts to turn to run back where he came from. As soon as he turns Hawgmasters .17 calaber cracks, boom! The Black Knight is so close to the top of the hill that he is about to be out of sight but when a second follow up shot is needed to seal the deal, but The Black Knight throws his VooDoo on Hawgmaster and his gun jams. I can hear Hawg fumbling with his gun and bullets but its too late, he's gone! We immediately turn on the KIYI and after a few moments the grey one comes bouncing towards the decoy as if nothing has even happened. I am right behing Hawg coaching him "Slow down, take your time, you got him this time,"Boom! This time the grey coyote starts squalling, he is spinning all around. Its a good hit. Again, Hawg's guns jams, he is desperately trying to get another load in. I swing around and get the coyote in my scope, I can see he is bleeding good. I told Hawg, "Should I put another one in him?" Then out of nowhere the coyote gets up and starts running off like hes just fine. Just as he runs over the hill I send one down range at him, but I just miss. He runs below the hill as soon as I sqeeze the trigger.
Hawg and I could only laugh, as we had only been on stand for less than 5 minutes. We decided to sit tight and continue to call until dark. There were multiple coyotes in that bottom when we started. After several minutes it starts to get dark, we gather our things and start looking for blood. What we thought would be an easy task turned into a long, down on your knees with the flashlight blood trailing knightmare. The Black Knight had put the GURU on us again. It seems that we missed him clean, again. And as for the grey coyote, we trailed his almost nothing bloodtrail for a few hundred yards and gave up. Which was crazy because I remember vivdly seeing him bleeding all over. We did find some really cool den sites which was a first for me. I took a picture of the den for you guys and will post it here for you.

All in all, it was another exciting afternoon. I love this sport so much, I wish I could quit my job and do it all the time. All we could talk about on the way home is how that "Black Knight" lives on. Hawg says he has a force field around him, I personally think his luck is gonna run out sooner or later.
SCCH

slagmaker

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

Great story!  You are giving that Black Knight a good education.   After 4 times he might be wising up to your game.  

What kind of .17 gun was that?  

pitw

If he went down a den then all you need is some barbed wire to get him out.  Great story too :yoyo:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Bopeye

I absolutely loved it.  :highclap:
Wish you would have found the bloody one, but I think we've all had that happen.

"The Black Knight", now there's a story to tell around campfires. Must have originally been a West Virginny coyote. They are bred to be super coyotes there.  :laf:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

FinsnFur

Yeah I think your making him smarter and smarter every time :laf: Soon hill be cresting the ridge with his own 17.

That sounded like a lot of fun. I think your buddy needs a gunsmith though :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

SCcoyotehunter

We have really spread out our time hunt hunting here. If fact though I said we have called him up 4 times, we have only hunted this place 5 times since April. But, there is no question in my mind that he is learning my tricks. We will get that black son of a gun!
SCCH

KySongDog

Good luck and be sure to get pics!!    :biggrin:

Timberking

AWESOME story! Too bad on the outcome of the hunt specially on the blodied one  :confused:  I know how you feel I've had it happen to me too.  :doh2:
Timberking,

John_NY

Great story. Can't wait to see pictures of the black one.

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

SCcoyotehunter

Quote from: Semp on November 22, 2010, 09:37:44 PM
Great story!  You are giving that Black Knight a good education.   After 4 times he might be wising up to your game.  

What kind of .17 gun was that?  
17 Remington

I returned to the scene of the crime today, and picked up the blood trail. I trailed him for at least another 150 yds or so but the trail got so thin and with all the leaves falling in different colors made it really difficult to keep going. I guess we'll chalk this one up for a loss.
SCCH