• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First coyote kills with my AR-15

Started by possumal, December 01, 2010, 11:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

Fellers, I have been having some trouble with Photobucket, just squared away today, so I will make a post about two nice males I called in and killed with my new AR-15 on the afternoon of 11-28.  This particular hunt shows just how unpredictable this great sport is, and proves how you have to never give up, and have confidence in your ability to ever beat old Wiley in his environment. 

Since the week that Snowcamoman visited me from Alaska, and the pictures posted about our success, I finally got my health issues squared away at least for now, and had gone out on two different days, making a total of 6 stands, all with good potential and places I had a lot of confidence in.  No customers other than a couple of responding howls in the distance.  Then on Sunday, the 28th, I decided to drive down to Mercer County to retrieve my target frame and sandbags I had set up for my grandsons to sight in their deer rifles with at least a month ago, but it was obvious they weren't going to bring them back to me. I just figured if I had to drive down there and burn the gas, I might as well work in a couple of stands.  After picking up my stuff from my daughter's house, I had just enough time to make two stands if I hustled. So I drove to a nearby farm where I could drive back fairly close to the hunting area, parked real quietly and snuck in to my first spot.   Placed my CS-24 and Yote Coyote decoy about 75 yds away by a thick bunch of briars and broom sage, and started with a couple howls from my Cronk Buffalo Horn howler and my Carver open reed call, waited a few minutes and watched, and then turned on the CS-24 with Coyote & Groundhog Distress.  Almost immediately, I saw a coyote coming hard from about 300 yds away up a long fencerow.  He stopped at 175 yds to take a looksee, and was acting kind of nervous, so I dropped the hammer on him with my DPMS AR-15, hitting him dead center in the chest, DRT.  Beautiful 34 lb. male with an extra nice silver fur.

Hustled about 1/4 mile to the next hollow, and did my set up in similar fashion to the first one, but hung my possum decoy out of Yote Coyote's mouth, with the CS-24 hidden in a depression right beside him. Started out the stand with the same howling pattern as the first stand, and after about 3 minutes watching, turned the CS-24 on to Coyote & Fox Fight, switching to Screamin' Grey Fox after about 3 minutes and then to Coyote Pup Distress #3 for about 15 seconds and then alternating between those two sounds with the recall button on the remote. Spotted a big coyote coming at a fast pace from about 400 yds up the fencerow.  He stopped at about 300 yds to take a look, and I have him a little more of the Screamin' Grey Fox and he started on in.  He hung up again at 260 yds by jumping up on a big fallen walnut tree and jumped up on the root section to get a better view.  I couldn't stand how good he looked in the scope picture so I squeezed one off, hitting him deadcenter in the chest, DRT, and he slid head first down the dirt on the fallen tree, ending up like he was standing on his head.  Nice 44 lb. male with a pretty good fur.  So after two days and 6 stands that looked better than either of these stands with no customers, I have two nice males dead in less than 45 minutes total. Go figure. 

I really like the new AR-15 so far as it is a real shooter. DPMS with 16" Shilen bull barrel, two stage trigger, and a Burris Fullfield II 4.5 x 14 x 42 scope with Ballistic Plex reticlle, easily grouping 1/2" to 3/4" groups at 100 yds on the first load I have tried fo it.  Here is a picture of the two males:

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

KySongDog

Nice story, Al.  And good shooting too.   :congrats:

msmith

^^^^^^ What he said. Pretty sweet AR too!
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

slagmaker

Sweet, Congrats on the firsts with your AR
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FOsteology

coyote101

Hey Al, great story and great shooting.  :highclap: :highclap: It looks like you've settled right into that AR.

Quote from: FOsteology on December 01, 2010, 04:40:50 PM

What bullet are you using?

I had the same question.

Pat

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bambam

Good shootin" !!  44 pounds is a big one !!

possumal

The first shells I have loaded for it, I used the Sierra 55 grain Spitzer Blitz Med Vel, but I do not believe it is the best bullet to use for this AR-15.  I prefer the boattail type bullets like the 70 grain Blitz King I load for my 243.  Sierra makes a 50 grain Blitz King for .223 cal., and I am betting on it being a potent bullet in this particular rifle.  I have a message in to Paul Box  of Sierra right now to get his thoughts on this, and I have never been able to prove him wrong on any info he has given me on any cal.  More later when I know something about this and have tested the load he gives me.  I have found that the Blitz King shoots lights out in any cal. it is available for, and I get the same feedback from others who shoot them.  They are extremely accurate with devastating terminal velocity.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

alscalls

Glad ya got out of the pouch!    :laf:   :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

possumal,

WTG!  Sounds like you could see for quite a ways?  Were you hunting in meadows or in the woods??  Good shooting!  I think you are going to like that AR!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

HaMeR

Cool deal Al. You must be feeling better!!  :yoyo:

My 221FireBall loves those 50gr BK's. They do a lot of internal damage on groundhogs down at the 221 velocity so I would think with another couple 100fps they would be very lethal.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Jeb

Congrats Al !! Thanks for sharing a story and pics ! :congrats: :congrats:
                             Jeb

possumal

Froggie, the particular farm I was hunting on Sunday is perfect coyote habitat.  It has vast areas that they can see for 500 yds or more from a vantage point, but lots of brushy hollows and gullies breaking big pastures up into sections.  Heavy weedfields scattered here and there above the big pasture with gullies leading to the pasture at various entry points, and a heavily forested creek running the full length of the bottom of the pasture field.  I have access to the 360 acres from all 4 directions so there is never a time I can't approach it with the wind like I want it.  Sometimes it takes a little more walking, but old farts need to do that anyway. In fact most young farts need more of that too instead of sitting in front of a computer playing games all day long. 

The two spots I made my setups allowed me to be on higher ground with my scent being carried to where they were least likely to come from.  I use the ecaller to try to make them come to one of those vantage spots where they can see the source of the sound, but it gets them dead usually if they cooperate. These two cooperated well.

I always try to find farms that have an ecotone, that is where 3 or more types of terrain meet.  Give them a lot of avenues to slip in for a look see, but be situated where you can see them sneaking in.  I love it when they do what I am trying to get them to do, especially when Yote Coyote is involved with a stuffed possum or fur hanging from his teeth, and it is right by the ecaller where they can see him eating their groceries.  It pisses them off something awful and it is a real good deal to watch them switch from audio mode to video mode, with their ears on full alert and their hackles all raised.  :laf:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

kyfuzzyface

WTG Al,
That part of Mercer County must be a good ways from Washington County a lot more Hollows and Bushes here
Fuzzy

Bopeye

Outstanding ole' Possum!! You really kicked some "tail" right there.  :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

centerfire_223

Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

Bluesman

Way to go possumAl!  I'm really glad you're out and about.  I read the previous post about your visit from Snowcamoman, and how you were not at your best.  You sure did make  a good recovery.   :whew:

Your pics and post are encouraging to me, as I have had a long run of dry stands here in NC.  I'm trying to keep the enthusiasm.  It's difficult.  I"m still calling every weekend, but I can't say I sit on every stand "knowing" that critter is coming.  :shrug:  However, I'm getting new ground each month so that helps.

After Christmas I'm heading out to Montana for some calling  :fingerx:.   I know that will be a great trip to the wide open spaces.

BTW, I've always enjoyed talking to the guys from Sierra.  I used to call tht Tech Line pretty regular and they were so helpful about anything related to reloading.  It never matters if I have a question about Sierra products or just a random problem, they always help me out.

Keep the stories and pictures of the dead coyotes coming my friend  :bowingsmilie:,  we like your style.

JB in SC
Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB