• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Got the cougar hide back 7 and a half feet long

Started by Okanagan, December 12, 2010, 09:52:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

This is the cougar my son shot in March 09.  We left it in the freezer for the better part of a year, not good, and finally had it tanned.  It is a smidge over 7 and a half feet long tanned.    It was about 6 and a half feet long unskinned but that was kind of humped up with rigor mortise and unable to pull it out full length.

The first pic is of my son is standing on the stone seat in front of his fireplace holding it up high enough to keep the tail off the floor.  In the second pic the hide is lying on the back of a couch.  This one is more brown and grey than some.  Very soft lucious fur.  My 11 year old grandson loves it and sleeps with it on his bed, etc.  He may wear all the hair off it but he will get more enjoyment out of it than I would on my wall!

KySongDog

That is suh-weeet!  :congrats:     Very nice cat!   :yoyo:    I'll probably never get the chance to hunt one of those.

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

Geez keep the blinds pulled or someone will shoot that pussy off the couch :shock2:.  Looks real nice and I agree with using it 100%. ;yes;
I say what I think not think what I say.

golfertrout

thats a nice one  :yoyo: one of those would be a rush calling it in

possumal

Thanks for sharing that one with us, as it is a beauty.   Having our family enjoy the thing is great and I would hope the little feller does wear the hair off it over the years, as that will insure him being in a good, safe place with no chance of going somewhere you wouldn't want him to be.  Nothing like sharing with the young guys and gals if you want them to stay right.

Every time I see something about someone taking one of those big rascals, I immediately think about Larry O. Gates who used to hunt with Gerry Blair a lot and was on his videos, was using a mouth call up in those Arizona mountains some place way to hell from anywhere, and a big cougar actually sailed from behind and touched his shoulder and then got away without Larry getting a shot.  (I don't see how he could have shot anyway if he had been carrying the load in his scivvies like I would have had in the same scenario).  He went back later, and called him up and got a quick shot, and then ran up there like a cougar himself, and finished the rascal off with a shot from the hip.  He sure was and probably still is one hell of a hunter, and was surely a good partner to Gerry for a long time.

Congrats again on the cat, and double congrats on sharing with the young fellers. :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Silencer

turned out nice, I love a good tanned hide, next best thing to a mount.

HaMeR

Beautiful animals they are. Even spread across the back of the couch.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

I'm figuring 3' of tail on that critter with a 4 1/2' body maybe??  :shrug:  That's a big cat!!  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

NNNnnice :wink:
They are a real cool pelt when they are done up. :eyebrow:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

bambam

Beautiful cat, and I loved your story possumal.