• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

The Good Folks at Derby City Calls

Started by shaddragger, April 24, 2011, 11:25:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaddragger

This is not an ad for Derby City Calls, just a story about the folks who run it. A friend called last Saturday to tell me that he had found a new pot call. He stopped by and had a Derby City aluminum Magnum from Bass Pro. The sound was incredible and my son fell in love with it. Bass Pro was out on Sunday and I couldn't find one an the 'net anywhere. I plugged in the factory phone #'s and email addresses and started calling Monday morning at work. Email's kicked back undeliverable and all I got were answering machines.
  When I got home that afternoon I got on the website again and found a dealer about three hours from here. I told him I wanted one of their calls and I had been calling and emailing all day. I explained that my son was turning 18 on April 23 and leaving for the Air Force July 26, and since this would be our last season together for a whille I really wanted to get him one of these calls. He didn't have one in stock but took down my info and promised to call right back. When he did he told me that Derby City was going to dropship the call to me and I could just pay him. I asked if it would make it by Saturday, and he said they would try. Then he said that the total was just for the call, and that he was paying shipping to thank my son for his service. I thanked him for his generosity but he insisted it was his honor.
  Later that evening about 6:30, my phone lit up with an unfamiliar number. When I answered, it was Jeff at Derby City. He told me that my emails HAD come through, with the same thing I had told the dealer, and he recognized my name from an order that shipping took while he was away that day. The first thing he told me was "Let's upgrade to a better call". I told him I had already paid for that one and he just said "Don't worry about it. What do you want lasered on it?" I didn't pay for that either, and again, "Don't worry about it. It's my honor to do it for his service." I didn't know what to put on it, so I just spelled out his name. "We'll put that on the call, and do something else on the striker." I hated to grumble and aplologized but I told him that I would rather get the call here for his birthday than get the lasering. "I'll take care of it. Tell him thanks from us" was his response. I couldn't thank him enough.
  True to his word, Thursday April 21 at 1 pm the mailman beeped his horn from the driveway. I walked out and he gave me a Priority package from Louisville, KY. When I opened the box I had to sit down a minute. These folks had put forth an extra effort for someone they had never met. They had stayed late and gotten up early to make sure that a seviceman's wish was fulfilled. The call, the Derby City Spur aluminum/glass in 500 Year Old Maple, sounds amazing. I had only paid for a call, but the real gift came from them.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Very nice indeed!   Sometimes those Louisville big city boys do something right.   :laf:

Be sure to tell your son thanks for his service from an 'ol Marine.    :congrats:

Carolina Coyote

Very good story, Thanks for sharing and tell your son Thanks for his service.  :highclap: cc

coyote101

Very nice. :congrats: :congrats: Thanks so much for sharing that.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

It really makes me feel good when I read about things like this happening.  Thanks for the post.

Jerry

Todd Rahm

And its a fine look'n call too!!!!  :congrats: Tell Wesley thanks for serving from us too.

FinsnFur

Nice read :sneer:
And that is a Turkey call like I've never seen. Totally out of the box :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

possumal

That's a great story.  Always glad to see somebody do something to honor our armed services members.  :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

iahntr

Scott