• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Antler call with base

Started by John_NY, June 18, 2011, 12:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_NY

I just got this finished tonight. It is an antler call with a burnt piece of scrap wood for the mouth piece. The base is an Elk burr with some crazy little points coming off it so I thought it would make a nice stand for a call. Where the coyote is was the base of the burr. I ground it down smooth to put the coyote on it. The bumps and tips were just right to set a call on it so that it stays put ok.

John

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Hawks Feather

John,

I can't see the call real well, but the stand sure is sharp.

Jerry

John_NY

Thanks Jerry. I couldn't get an angle that shows the call and show the stand the way I wanted. But you know me and my picture taking skills.  :alscalls: 

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Todd Rahm

Yeah, the stand is sharp! I'd like better look at the burnt wood part. Is it's black color from the burning?

Yotehntr

That stand is cool as heck John!  Nice call too!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

John_NY

Thanks Brad.

Todd, yes the wood is burnt. I use a wooden dowel to burn it while it's spinning on the lathe. I missed a couple spots so the call will more than likely end up in a box just as a bonus for somebody to toss in their vehicle.
I had to search through my photobucket but found a better example of burning the wood. The method was the same I just took more time. I did this one a year or so ago. I think I posted it here at the time. But it shows pretty good what the burnt wood looks like. The wood was a piece of cherry so you can see the change.

John