• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

carved distress call.

Started by John_NY, July 15, 2011, 06:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_NY

My sister stopped in my shop yesterday with a piece of basswood and wondered if we could colaberate and make a call from it. I drilled it out and turned a mouth piece for it. She took it home and started carving. She brought it back today and I finished it off by sealing the wood and getting it ready to be voiced. This is the end result. Comments are welcome.

John

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

FinsnFur

Thats pretty cool right there.  :congrats:
I hate to say it, but her carving looks better then the work you did on it. I think she did all the hard work. :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

John_NY

No doubt about it she did thehard part. She just called and said she has another carving almost done. I think she's hooked.  :alscalls:

John
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

HuntnCarve

She did a real nice job!  The symetry is really good. -Not an easy thing to do. :congrats:
Get a piece of cherry, maple, or walnut in her hands.  And let her do her work.  Then go with a natural finish.  Then she'll really be hooked.  Tell her "well done." :congrats:

Dave

John_NY

I'll tell her Dave. She started on a piece of walnut today and came back for a piece of butternut. She said the black walnut was taking too long.  :alscalls: 
John

Todd Rahm

Turn another one like that and have her carve it into a morel mushroom? Just a thought.  :biggrin: And its good for a first one, thats darn sure.

HuntnCarve

John, you need to tell her to slow down.  Seems when you get in a rush, that's when accidents happen?  Don't ask me how I know. :wink:  The butternut is a good choice.

Dave

FinsnFur

...and she's going to have to start paying for these cuts of wood. She's diminishing the John_NY supply. :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

John_NY

I'll tell her about the mushroom idea. I don't think she was in a hurry. I think it was more boredom. I know she worked on it all day and most of the evening. The store she managed for years just went out of business and she's bored and trying to keep busy. She can have all the butternut she wants Jim, I hate sanding it. With this style carving sanding isn't an issue. She does quite a bit of carving, usually hunters and stuff like that.

John

John_NY

I thought I'd show an update on what my sister is doing. I gave her a piece of black walnut and told her to carve something out of it. I turned a piece of pecan for the mouth piece.

I also gave her an old piece of moose antler and told her to figure it out. So this is what she did with it. She said I whitled the rifle years ago so I know it's atleast 20 years old and no rust on it either.  :alscalls:  I quit carving years ago when  my shoulders started bothering me from arthritis.

John

HaMeR

She done quite a nice job on both pieces. The eyes are really cool!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

slagmaker

That there is some beautifulle work. You both need to keep it up :yoyo: :congrats:
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

John_NY

Thanks. She calls everyday telling me she just finished something. I'll have to change my shop to J.B. mouth pieces.  :doh2: 

John

Hawks Feather

John,

Nice calls and it seems you have unleashed a carver.  I have decided (since I can't do it) that it is a gift that is only given to some people.  Obviously I missed the gift giving party. 

Jerry

John_NY

Thank you Jerry. She has been carving and wood burning and building wooden trash cans and stuff like that for 30 years. She just now decided to try carving calls. I gotta talk to her to see if she can carve them so that they can be sanded and retain detail. They are kinda rough feeling in the hand.

John

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

John_NY