• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Phone service

Started by riverboss, August 29, 2011, 06:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverboss

What do you all use for cell service? I was having alittle trouble with AT&T so i switched to Verizon I've been dropped on almost every call I've made that hasn't been from my home and cant get service 1/4 of the time while at work i just got home from exchanging my phone out for another that was supposed to have a better antenna but so far there is a 4 mile stretch of highway that it didn't show any signal i haven't been able to try it yet because it wont show any numbers behind the names that are stored and wont dial any numbers unless you enter them manually :doh2: which i cant remember any of them because my old phone  worked.  :madd:What do you think of Verizon I've always heard they were the best .

securpro

I switched from Nextel to Verizon about five years ago and there was a night and day difference between them, but the longer I have Verizon the worse it gets. I still dont think one company is any better than another, their coverage areas are a little different thats about it. My opinion is they ALL suck. I had a Verizon Tower technician tell me that the new phones are not as powerfull on the transmit and recieve as the old phone because their are more towers and new phones need to be within six miles of a tower to have good connection. If you live in the city thats perfect but if you live eight miles from a tower like me service is marginal which equates to alot of dropped calls. :mad2:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

riverboss

That gives new meaning to can you hear me now :madd: i remember last year at LBL i didnt have much service and the guys with verizon had all they could handle. I`e got afew more days to decide weither i keep them or not i finaly got my numbers loaded i hope tomorrow it works better. Thank Securpro.

KySongDog

Verizon is the best in my opinion.  I had AT&T at one time and it was absolutely terrible.   I couldn't make calls at my house. With Verizon, no problem.   

If you are having problems with a signal.  It might be the type and model of the phone you have.  Some phones are better than others at reception.

Also, check and see where Verizon's cell tower is in relation to where you live. 

FinsnFur

Verizons slogan used to pertain to them having the least amount of dropped calls. I dont recall the actual phrase.
But anyway, Verizon is so terrible around here that if you ask someone who has Verizon, who their provider is, they answer with "the most dropped calls" instead of saying Verizon. :laf:

And yep, everyone knows then who it is. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Depends where your at. AT&T while it has some dead spots up here is better then most if not all Alaska has to offer.

nastygunz

My sister and her husband live in rural northern NH and had verizon cell phones but they only worked when they went down into town...they got this verizon amp rig, set it up and now have full bars in their home where before they had none...my verizon cell would not work there before either, now with the booster I get full bars at their house:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/wireless-Network-Extender-verizon-cell,news-3354.html

Tikaani

Agreed Todd, except it's about 90% of the state  :eyebrownod:
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Yotehntr

Went to the Gulf for vacation this year... I have Verizon.. my SIL  has Nextel, and his brother has AT&T... I was the biggest looser.  Around here I have the best service but I lost out big there.
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

CCP

I use AT&T and have no problems here but a few areas. Alot of people in my area use Verizon and have no problems but a few areas. So for my area it boils down to who had the best plan and phones for my needs and AT&T won for me.

I have noticed a few stretches of highway I had service a few months ago are dead spots now for a mile or so. :confused: The new LTE system which both companies are changing over to use will be a big improvement when they are up and running.

I don't get service at LBL but I am only there once a year so it aint worth me changing over plus it is more peaceful at the cabin with no service and service is only a hill away.

I think your best bet is to take a phone from AT&T and Verizon on your daily routine and which ever one gives you the best coverage on that routine buy it no matter the company logo.

I do alot of teleconference calls and having the ability to go through my e-mails and other stuff on my phone while talking is a life saver at times. Guys on the other phones say things like "I need to hang up and check my e-mail on the phone for that info". :laf:

My parents and a few other friends live in DEAD ZONES no matter the carrier and they just forward there cell phones number to there house phone at night.

AT&T had problems and still do with dropped calls but it was/is mainly because they have had the most smartphone users and that much data transfer created a bog down.This bog down made them cut out the unlimited plans for new customers to help curve the data transfer. Verizon knew this and when releasing the new iPhone on there system cut out the unlimited data plans also to keep there system from bogging down.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

riverboss

Thanks it is working better with the new phone but is still very weak in the building i work in i may look into that booster think.

iahntr

yeah, I'm not sure you can say one is better then the other in all areas.
As far as reception goes, I think that might be different for all of us, just hafta look
at your area. I have both US Cellular (my personal phone) and Verizon (my work phone)
on my side at all times during the day, It's about a toss up around here, I'd give the slight
edge to my US Cellular phone. When we were down in Oklahoma pig huntin I didn't have
good reception at all, they said it had to be "AT&T" (or whichever one it was) or nothin
around there. I did get a "smart phone", HTC Desire, here a little while back, I love the
phone and all you can do on it, but two things, the battery life isn't good, and I don't
think the reception is quite as good as the other flip phones I've had.
Scott