• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Five or six screams

Started by Rich, August 25, 2011, 06:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich

Here  is a coyote calling method that I have seen produce several times while calling with a friend in north-central Nebraska. The idea is that once on stand, you simply blow five or six screams on a predator call, and then sit in silence for several minutes. Anyone here ever tried this?
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

FinsnFur

Yeah I have...but I'm in Southern Wis. I still say there's more coyotes East of the mighty Mississippi.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

I've seen Jimmy in KY do something similar to that to open up a stand while hunting very thick areas.  The idea is to call to anything that might be close.  He pulled a large yellow coyote in the day I was with him in a matter of a few minutes.   

possumal

Rich, I have seen that technique be successful several times over the years.   Also, after spending 15 or 20 minutes on a stand, doing your normal stuff, I have turned the volume up loud as hell, mouth call or ecaller, for about 30 seconds, and then not make another sound.  Good technique for the big old smart ones.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Rich

"Rich, I have seen that technique be successful several times over the years.   Also, after spending 15 or 20 minutes on a stand, doing your normal stuff, I have turned the volume up loud as hell, mouth call or ecaller, for about 30 seconds, and then not make another sound.  Good technique for the big old smart ones. "
-------------------------------------------------
I almost always call loud, even from the very start.
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

possumal

Rich, if you get up in those Iowa hills after all that flooding this year, and turn one of the new Krakatoa callers up to about 1/2 volume or more, you'll burst the ear drums on those poor old Iowa coyotes!  :biggrin:  I don't guess it matters though as you are going to do a lot worse than that to 'em with that favorite rifle.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

centerfire_223

I think this is a good technique, especially for educated coyotes.

If we stopped and thought about it, 4-5 screams is about all there is when something gets a hold of a rabbit or bird. So this seems like it would be more realistic than screaming continuously.

As far as being loud right off the bat, I watched a hawk catch a bird and he was wide open from the start but didn't last long.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

possumal

I have heard a grey fox scream blood curdling loud, nearly non stop, for ten minutes.  As it turns out, he was caught in a foot hold trap.  I have heard a cottontail rabbit scream loud as hell for a long time when one of our beagles had a hold on his foot or leg where they couldn't get to the section of his body to kill him, and it is pretty darned loud.  On the other hand, I've never heard a mouse or rat scream loud enough for me to hear it at 200 yds or so, even when my hearing was still good.  IMO, either starting out low volume in case a fox or coyote is not far away can't hurt your chances, but playing an ecaller wide open, especially one like a CS-24, making a cottontail rabbit sound like he is on steroids and could possibly whip a Rottweiller could hurt your chances of having a customer come in for dinner.  I know people think differently, and if it works for them, I can see them doing that.  I can't help but believe in realism in all aspects of calling.  I doubt that the loudest mouthcall you can find would compare in volume to a CS-24 cranked up.  I have heard from a pretty reliable source that there is a fellow in Oregon who wants the loudest ecaller he can find, and he plays it full volume for the entire length of his stand, and then heads to his next stand. He kills a lot of coyotes each year too, so I would never suggest his method is wrong.   I can't imagine him turning up one of the new Krakatoa ecallers at full volume and having the same results.  That thing is dangerous loud, about right for Bob Aronsohn's crow hunting methods.  He is employing different tactics all together though compared to calling predators.

I guess the old adage applies, "Never say never where coyotes are concerned".
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff