• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Another First!

Started by dog dropper, December 11, 2011, 08:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dog dropper

WELLL i got up this morning for a passion to finally shoot my first deer, and i was going out to my favorite spot for sitting in the morning which i had found earlier this year. I had gone twice before this year and each time i had the opportunity to shoot a white tail doe in the head at just 15 yards, but had past up the offer both times. SO this morning i was hoping that there husbands might just be walking through. SO I went out at 6:30 and walked the 3/4 of a mile to my spot and hunkered down around 6:45. I sat there till around 9, and nothing, and i mean absolutely nothing showed up.Not even the weasel from the past 2 times that i had fed a kit-kat bar and watched chase around a sharp tailed grouse. Then i called dad and told him id be in spot for him to push bush towards me in another field in a half hour. After that was done i got the same result... nuthin! We proceeded to go through this pasture and we were about to leave when we seen the "world record" as dad calls it and his brother chasing about 4 does. I tried to get a good look at him through the scope but this was rather difficult seeing as it was a moving target, and the bush he was going into was interfering . We looked for him for over an hour with no luck. We then decided to go get my older brother and cut some firewood. After that we were on our way home and managed to rustle up a mule buck and 2 does which we followed around but we could never get a clear shot at. We thought we had him cornered when we seen another smaller buck, and since the season is ending here pretty quickly, i decided that he would do. We cut around to the other end of the bush he was running through and I got into position while dad drove around the other side of the next bush. I didn't have to wait long for him to come back out and i took the 80 yard shot. It was a clear hit and he half heatedly bounced into the bush. Dad came back around and I showed him the spot where i shot him. We then waited a little while and started to track him. He was bleeding, A LOT, and it wasn't hard to follow his trail. He crossed one fence and almost made it to the next clearing where i found him 15 yards from the edge of the bush.

We managed to make up a dragging system using a low gauge rope and an antler tine. It was quite a system that dad thought up, and believe it or not, it actually worked. We dragged him to a large sand hill where we could back up and just drag him into the back of the truck. This went along rather well and we got him home and got him out of the truck with a little bit of help from Donald.

We then continued to skin and gut him. HE is now hanging in the shop with 6 pork halves and i am staying home tomorrow to cut him up. So I get to stay home tomorrow!  :biggrin: How about that? my first deer and a day off of school, not bad  :wink:
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!!!

FOsteology

Way to go Bobby! A year of firsts. Congrats!

coyote101

Way to go Bob!  :yoyo: :yoyo: Congratulations on your successful deer hunt.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyotehunter_1

Well done,young man!!!
You may take many more deer during your lifetime but this will be one you will always remember.  :thumb2:   
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

slagmaker

Looks like that rifle is doing you a dandy job. Congrats on the buck and another first.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

iahntr

Very nice ! Congratulations !!  :highclap: :highclap:
Thanks for sharin it with us !
Scott

HaMeR

Great story young Bob!! You do have your Dad's gift of gab!!  :laf: :laf:  That's a fine looking mulie too.  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

kyfuzzyface

WTG Bob, That should be some fine eatin  :highclap:
Fuzzy

HuntnCarve

Way to go Bobby!  That's a fine buck.  We're all proud of you. :congrats:

Dave

WldWldWest

Another good hunt!

Congrats!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Carolina Coyote

Alright Bobby  :yoyo:  :highclap:  :congrats: Good for you for having another first plus your Dad was with you, don't get any better than that. After the problem with your appendix earlier you have made a great comeback, really proud for you. Keep at it. cc

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on another first.  That is a fine looking buck you have there and your writing accounts of the day were excellent.  I laughed when I read, "It was quite a system that dad thought up, and believe it or not, it actually worked."  Maybe you should consider journalism when you finish school, or maybe professional hunter.

Jerry

Dave

Congrats again, Bobby!  Enjoy your day off!!!

riverboss

Congradulations on your buck :highclap: i enjoyed you story also.

bambam

Way to go Bob !!  Nice deer.

vvarmitr

Congrats Double D!  :congrats:

Good thing you anointed that gun!  :innocentwhistle:
:laf: