• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

South Texas Muy Grande

Started by FOsteology, December 26, 2011, 01:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Crikey I didn't know them lil buggers had teeth like that :shock2:...Id rather hunt one of them then a deer ha-ha, nice buck too! Id love 2 hunt Texas some day but I might die in that heat being a New Englander :biggrin:

E.Tx Hunter

Hey FOsteology,
Just found this website.

Also hunted last week's youth only at the Chap.  Son got lucky on first hunt and convinced me to cut our stay short, so we didn't get a chance to meet.
Tough to meet everyone though.
Thought TPWD did an outstanding job hosting the kids.

Congrats on your son's 8 and the Javi.

It was our first trip there too and we had blast. 

Would post son's pic, but don't know how.
He actually got a pretty good one.

Heard there was one other 140+ killed to and was hunting for a pic of when i stumbled on this site.
Hunted Ano Neuvo.  What pasture were you guys in?

FOsteology

Hey East Tex,

Congrats to your son. I'd be happy to post your son's picture of his deer. Just send it to my screen name at yahoo dot com.

We were hunting in pasture #10 North Jay. The Jones family (kids from Nebraska) were hunting next to me in #9 (South Jay). The youngest son in that party shot a 6.5 yr old buck that scored around 120

I think if the hunt had been scheduled the week before, there may have been more mature deer seen.

A gentleman and his adult son that I'm acquainted with via another Forum will be hunting the Chap in a couple weeks. Will be interesting to see the results from the adult hunt.

E.Tx Hunter

Will try and send pic tomorrow.

I met the family from Nebraska.
His older boy passed a buck the 1st evening that he wished he had shot.

The other buck Dan (tpwd biologist) said that scored well was killed by the tall lanky teenager that looked like his tall lanky dad.
Real good folks.  Wish I could remember their names.  Drove a gold chevy 4X4.

Kid was excited for Josh's buck and went out of his way to pat him on the back.

Ano Neuvo is right across the fence from North Jay #10, so we were hunting neighbors.

Ya'll weren't camping in the RV camp were you?

Dave

Tell your son congrats on a nice looking buck, and at the zero hour.
I hunted javelinas once around Laredo, and it was a blast!  Get em close, blow on a squeeler call and the pack charges in looking to 'help.'  My nephew (about 18 at the time), flung one arrow and was last seen haulin the mail in the opposite direction!  :laf:  He still hasn't lived that one down.

FOsteology

East Tex,

No, we stayed in Cotulla. Folks from Nebraska stayed there as well. Spoke with the oldest boy Brenden for awhile. He saw two bucks he was contemplating shooting. He was having a devil of a time as he's used to much larger bucks.

Dave,

I agree. Best to hunt javelinas up close as they're pretty easy to sneak up on. With a call you can really fire them up! They'll charge in ready to fight!

E.Tx Hunter

Okay FOs.

Gonna give it a go at my 1st attempt to post a pic.
(I are un Aggie so wish me luck)....

Info:
We hunted Ano Neuvo from a pop up down wind of a scrape in a sendero that had no stand.
(figured older deer may be too familiar with their stands)
Saw 11 deer total including this buck and a super wide but thin 8 he elected to pass.

Big buck initially came out 45 minutes before dark  at about 400 yards (and your're right...not at all interested in the does) but he was rubbing a bush close to but not at the scrape.  I had him identified as a mature shooter (even by 1st day standards) with my Elk binnoculars.  He used scope only and had to trust my judgement.

All deer left about 30 minutes before dark.  . 
He started losing hope of big guy coming back when dark started settling in.
Told him to hang tight we had 10 minutes of legal light and good optics.

Buck stepped out a couple of minutes later at 215 yards (which I thought was about 170 at the time, until we ranged it the next day).
He got very nervous but did an excellent job of taking deep breaths waiting for broadside, then holding steady and letting gun surprise break.  (wind was from you to me so not sure if you heard our shot) 

I convinced him to at least wait until dark to go look and the whole time he thought he had shot a 120 - 130 class buck, hoping it was a 10.  He about fell over when we got to him.  only ran about 40 yards drilled right behind the shoulder.  His best and longest shot.  We even got lucky and the bullet hit no bone, not even ribs so we got every bit of meat.  Used my .270Mag which usually blows up a shoulder.

Official score was 142 7/8 gross - 141 1/8 net
6 1/2 yrs old
16 1/2 inside
Short brows - Good mass

FOsteology

Now THAT's more representative of the Chap!  :biggrin:

Congratulations to your son (and the proud Dad). Love those "claws" and good mass throughout. Did Dan or Sarah age the buck? Hard to tell by the pic's, but I'm guessing 4.5yo mebbe 5.5 ??

Never mind on age, see in your post now.

E.Tx Hunter

Thanks FOs.

His luck can be down right disgusting sometimes.
That buck out did my career deer.

I was very proud and happy for him....but.........
..think he needs a lesson in humility sometimes at how difficult it really is and how much luck is involved...
Least he admits it, and says 'rather be lucky than good'....

What'd your son decide to do with his horns?
European or shoulder?  It really is good buck by normal standards ya know.

oh, yeah....how's the meat on those javi's anyway?
We got a whif of the ones hanging in the locker.  :whew:

Dave

Tell your son congrats on that trophy buck, E.Tx
Enjoyed the story, especially how psyched he was when he found him.  Nothing beats hunting with your son!

FOsteology

My son is just having a horn on oak panel done. He's also cleaning the javelina skull so that he can set it next to his feral hog skull.

I've never been brave enough to eat javelina. I've heard that it's good....

I believe the main issue is ensuring it's skinned properly as you definitely don't want to pierce the glands in the lower back. It'll contaminate the entire carcass.

We donated the javelina meat. A couple of other folks did as well. We were the last to leave, and there was a deer left in the walk-in cooler. Not sure if it was donated or not. Buck was a young basket 8pt with spread well within the ears (maybe 10 inch spread).

Carolina Coyote

Very nice Buck and good shooting, Just curious what did he weight, he looks pretty heavy.
Congratulations  to the boy.  :highclap: cc

E.Tx Hunter

Thanks CC,
buck weighed 150 dressed.  not sure what that equates to live weight other than killing my back getting it hung up in the locker.
Since we brought it in with guts, wished we had asked them for a live weight, but they do have a biology research process they go through so I just did as told.

FOs,
In east tx we're run over with hogs.  I have a buddy that boils out the skulls on any boars with nice tusks and cuts the base perpendicular so that they sit on a shelf pointing upwards.
He learned it in Australia.  Looks real good. 
Course the spouses won't let you put them in the den or anything, but at a cabin or the kid's room....awesome look.  He has several in his study as bookends.

A 109 8 point rack will luck really nice on a plaque mount.  Probably too late for this suggestion, but that buck would make a good european too.
Without the ears the spread appears much bigger.  We like to do them ourselves as a way to stretch out the experience reminiscing about the hunt over a boiling pot.
Really not that much work as alot of folks make it out to me in my book.

Congrats again on your son's buck and piggie. 
Liked the pics you added of the terrain too. 
Sure was a great experience, and lots of fun seeing the kids get a chance to go after the big fabled Muy, huh.

FOsteology

What I enjoyed most about the hunt was the time spent with my oldest son. We haven't had an opportunity to spend a great deal of time one on one since school began, due to football and academic requirements.

That truly is a nice buck your son shot. Shoulder mount I presume?

On the weight, I think I read or heard somewhere that the internals are around 30% of the weight?  :confused:

That would seem to make the buck around 190-195lbs on the hoof. We didn't field dress Joe's buck either, and had Dan weigh it as is as I processed the deer via the gutless method.

Joe's buck was 154lbs on the hoof if my memory isn't mistaken.