• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Custom + - production

Started by CCP, March 03, 2007, 12:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCP

I got a little project I would like to do and would like opinions. What do you think the pluses and minuses of a custom call are?
What are the pluses or minuses of a production call ?

Thanks it will be a big help.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

THO Game Calls

What do you think the pluses and minuses of a custom call are?

Pluses

Pride in ownership
Confidence
Superior sound - or should be
backed by a call maker who can help you if things go wrong- or should be
most of them work to call coyotes

Minuses

Cost
fear of breaking or losing it
you don't always get what you pay for
some of them just don't work well
time to get one (sometimes depending onthe builder - months)

What are the pluses or minuses of a production call ?

Pluses

Cost
Replaceable
You don't care if you break it or lose it
most of them work to call coyotes
you can get one almost anywhere

Minuses

They all sound alike
A lot of production calls are sold on hype and don't live up to thier advertising claims.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Member - Custom Call Makers & Collectors Guild & Call Makers & Collectors Association of America
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Todd Rahm

Can't add much to what Al stated but heres a few.

Customs

More apt at being collectables  :biggrin:
The person to person dealings you get with the maker, and
the friendships that sometimes develope
and when having one made to specs. your getting your fancy piece of "bragging rights"  :wink:

I have many.  :innocentwhistle: Three are on my lanyard.  :biggrin:

Production

Kind a impersonal
Chances of being a collectable, regardless of how many made........extremely slim.  :sad:
When ya find a good one they are kind a concidered "throw way" calls, because they are easly replaced and generally for cheap.
For the asking price of some of the newer productions, it only makes sense to go custom.

I have many.  :innocentwhistle: One is on my lanyard.  :biggrin:

FinsnFur

Wow...I was going to come in here and say that it depends on whether or not your a collector, a maker, or a just a ding bat hunter.
:laf:
So..since you already got a reply from a high ranking maker, and a high ranking collector, please allow me  :eyebrownod: to be the ding bat hunter.

Custom Calls

• + Can be tailored to your specs, sound, and sometimes price
  • + The amount and the availability of.... what should we call it?...Customer support?
  • + A much broader selection for satisfying personal taste in styles
  • + Personal value along with uniqueness of the call
  • - Too many others are buying Al's Acrylic calls before I get a shot at em

Production Calls

• + Cheap
  • + Easy to get
  • + You dont get mad if you climb in the truck and find one on the floorboard
  • + If a coyote comes in and you scare it with your sounds you can throw it at the coyote as he dashes off
  • - They all sound the same
  • - There's nothing appealing about them as far as appearance or value
  • - Good luck getting some help with using it
  • - Too many people use em, and a lot of the sounds are common ground to predators
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

studabaka

Personal vs impersonal...... originals vs copies...... craftsmanship vs processed...... pride of ownership vs having..... and just plain awe at the skill, talent, creativity, personalized care, and pride in workmanship.... it's something you just don't get in a production call. A nice custom call is just plain enjoyable to look at, hold [dare I say fondle  :shck:], and use. Production calls have a place and serve a purpose, but a well made custom call is that and much much more. I'm not exactly sure how to discribe this, but I find that I que up with a call maker because of who they are and my impression of them from interacting online. Yes I'm purchasing a call, but what I'm really looking for is something that person created. They often ask 'so what would you like' and are probably a bit baffled when I respond something like 'you pick'. What I end up with is not just something they made, but something they made for me.

Hmmm.... on the flip side..... with a production call, you pretty much know what your getting and when you want it you get it. With custom calls, you may not know what your getting till ya got it and sometimes getting them can be ..... well... a credit to one's patience.  :innocentwhistle:

That said..... the wait has always been worth it and I've only been hosed once [not by anyone here]. I look forward with great anticipation to get to the front of several of our resident call maker's ques and I can't say that for any production call.

"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

vvarmitr

I imagine a custom call being made & the Maker thinking ... "Boy I hope this thing doesn't crack on me, if I do this er that I wonder how that will affect the sound, sure hope this calls a ton of coyotes for who ever gets it, I wonder is $30 to much, what if it doesn't sell, wouldn't it be great if Quackerstacker & Todd Rahm fought over it?"

On the other hand the injection mold operator is thinking ... "I'm going to get layed this weekend?" :rolleye:

Todd Rahm

Hawks Feather

Not trying to ignore your post, but I think what has been stated has pretty well covered the topic.

Jerry

CCP

THANKS guy's your opinions will help me alot on what Iam doing :highclap:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

He aint doin nut but chewing up posting space  :nono:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers