• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Some interesting Civil War history for Bopeye

Started by coyote101, July 22, 2012, 02:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I took this picture today on US Hwy 60 a couple of miles east of Irvington, Kentucky near the Meade - Breckenridge county line:
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Bopeye

That's pretty cool Pat. I spent the weekend in Ky. with my family. Got fairly close to Louisville, but since I went to boot camp at Ft. Knox I didn't want to get to close.

We went to Mammoth Cave where Morgans raiders showed up. The owner of the motel above the cave had been told they were coming so he hid everything of value in the cave. They thought Morgan would burn the motel. When Morgan arrived he told the owner he didn't intend to bother the motel, he just wanted everything he had stashed in the cave.  :laf:

Then I spent the night in Munfordville, Ky where 2 battles took place over the L&N (Louisville and Nashville) railroad bridge. Morgan was also officially commissioned into the confederate army there. I stood where he was commissioned. I have pics of all this, it was pretty cool.

We went to where Abe Lincoln was born and then traveled to his boyhood home. I didn't realize Hwy 31 was the old Cumberland Trail.
  I met a man in Munfordville by the name of Cottrell, that wrote a book that was the foundation for Forrest Gumps running. This man had logged 120,000 miles at the time of the book. He now has 200,000 logged in. It was kind of funny how I met him. I asked some people at a Mexican restaurant if they were natives and it was him. He had a collection of Indian artifacts in his car that would blow you away. One of the spear heads was appraised at $20,000. He wants us to come back in October and he will take us to some historic spots as "natives" not tourists. He guaranteed a more in depth look of the battlefields. I will post more about all this later on a different thread about our Kentucky trip.

We went to a few places for the kids, but by and large had a splendid time in the heat.

Pat, every historical marker you see like this would you please post. Also give any history of it that you know personally and it's location. Not trying to put a lot on you, but this adventure into the past has really brought my dad, my kids (especially my daughter) and myself so much closer. We are all having a blast studying the Civil War together. It's so interesting what we each find out new that day.

I am at my parents house right now, but when I get home I will show the kids this thread. Thank you so much.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

coyote101

I took this on the lot of the Christian County courthouse in Hopkinsville, Kentucky.

General Lyon burned the courthouses in Hopkinsville, Cadiz, Princeton, Madisonville, Hartford, Campbellsville, and Burkesville on his run through Kentucky.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

coyote101

Riverside Cemetery, U.S. Hwy 41 in Hopkinsville, Kentucky

Here is a link to some more information on the Battle of Perryville, where Gen. Jackson was killed:
http://www.civilwar.org/battlefields/perryville/perryville-history-articles/10-facts-about-perryville.html

Pat
NRA Life Member

Bopeye

That's awesome. I love it!!  :yoyo:

Keep taking pics and sending please.

bambam

Bopeye, don't know if this would interest you, but this is a medal that my Great-Great Granddad got at a Confederate reunion in Richmond Virginia. He was captured by the Yanks and spent time in a prisoner of war camp. His name was George Washington Hammer III.

Bopeye

That is absolutely cool BamBam. Can you dial in the camera a little better so my old eyes can see it more clearly? Please.  :wink:

bambam

Sorry about that , this is the best I can do with my old camera.

Bopeye

That looks a whole lot better. Helps these blind eyes see it in more detail. Thank you very much.  :congrats:

Bopeye

Hey Pat!!! I sure hope you aren't done. I have been doing some serious research from your pictures and the 10 facts about the Battle of Perryville. Going to have to get some sleep at some point, but just can't quit yet.  :nono:
Keep up the good work my good man!!  :highclap: