• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Wild Hog Table fare

Started by Carolina Coyote, December 07, 2012, 04:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

Just though I would update everyone how the Hog I Killed and had processed turned out. I picked it up this past weekend and brought it home, The wife made some Sausage gravy yesterday morning and cooked some of the Pork Chops this afternoon, I will put it this way I want be giving any more of them away, This was a Boar and weighted 260 lbs, I wanted to try that to see if it was good to eat. The Chops were a little tough but I have bought tougher at the grocer store, the taste was very good . This being a Boar I neutered him immediately after shooting him .  Don't know if the fact that the Hog was not stressed when I shot him had something to do with the flavor but I plan to enjoy The Chops, Ribs and Sausage this winter. If you go Hog Hunting save the meat.   :readthis:  cc

bambam

Agreed !!  Wild hog is excellent eating. The key is get them dressed and cooled quickly.

FinsnFur

I dont believe you Carl...I'm going to have to come over for supper to see for myself. :eyebrownod:

What does cutting the jewels off after shooting him do? I never heard of that.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

Jim,I have always been told to do that to prevent the Wild taste, Had some more of the Chops tonight and they were very good, no wild game taste at all. At present we still have a few Hogs on the Wanderosia and all the Crops have bee harvested but the Cotton and they pretty much stay in the woods looking for acorns and roots, When they get more abundant and showing themselves you will have to come down and try getting one. cc

coyotehunter_1

QuoteWhat does cutting the jewels off after shooting him do?

:wo: What... ya' never heard of mountain oysters?  :wo:

I too was taught it's part of field dressing a porker, wild or other wise.
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Carolina Coyote

Never tried the Mountain Oysters but have heard there are tasty.  :biggrin: cc