• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Son called & killed a cougar

Started by Okanagan, March 08, 2013, 09:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

My younger son called a lion early this afternoon and shot it.  This makes the third called lion he's killed.  I was with him and did the calling on the first two and he called this one on his own.  Minaska Bandit playing a mix of prey sounds and Rainshadow lion vocals.  25 minutes.

He set up in the upper edge of thick rhododendron bushes where a thicket of them began to thin out under forest trees on a steep mountainside.   He couldn't see far, maybe 40 yards max.  When he shot it the cat leaped super high and ahead, so that it covered 20 yards closer toward him at an angle on the steep slope.   It leaped ahead in the direction it was facing when hit, which happened to be toward him.  Scared him big time!  It dashed past him heading downhill and he gave it 15 minutes before following a difficult blood trail through the thick rhodies.  It was dead 150 yards downhill, just above the logging road where his truck was parked. 

It is stiff in the photos or would drape out longer.  Adult female.  He said 85 lbs and I don't know if that is a weighed figure or a guess but it looks right.  Typical female for that area.

Grinning big time here!   :highclap: :congrats: :biggrin:

FOsteology

I'd be grinning too! Congrats to your son.

KySongDog

Very nice!  Congratulations to your son.    :congrats:

possumal

That is way cool, Okanagan.  Kudos to you both.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

iahntr

Very nice !  :yoyo:  congrats !!   :highclap:
Scott

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Yotehntr

Oh WOW!  That is awesome, congrats!  :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Hawks Feather

Tell him congratulations!  That is a great looking cat.

Jerry

Dave

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
WOW!  That's awesome!  Tell him congrats.

nailbender

FinsnFur

Very nice :congrats: I love the looks of those things.  :eyebrow:
Does he plan to have it mounted, or is he doing something else with the hide?

Did he set out to call a Cougar initially or was he after something else? I think I may have spritzed my trousers a bit if she ran towards me after being shot.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Jim, he was specifically trying to call a cougar.  I'm not sure why but we rarely get a non-targetted animal coming to a call (other than deer and birds to rabbit prey sounds.)   We set up quite differently for lions than we do for coyotes, and using lion vocals discourages most other critters from coming in.  Once in a rare while a bobcat will come in and check out a lion vocal and the same son shot a bobcat last week that came in to a specific cougar stand with lion vocals. 

This one looks like an extra nice color and heavy fur to me and they are one of the prettiest animals up close that I've ever seen in the wild.  He has a full cougar rug with head mount, and a tanned hide which his son, Cody's cousin, uses as a throw on his bed.  He will probably just have this one tanned rather than rugged out.  This one is about the size of his rug, maybe a little smaller and the tanned hide is from a considerably larger male.

Yeppers, having a mountain lion leap toward me and cover half the distance in one bound would clean out my pipes for sure.   :whew:  Fortunately it was angled a bit to one side of him and stayed on that course.  The cat was straight above him on steep ground.

Are we blessed in our family or what!!!?  I'm grateful.

Jeb

Wow nice going !! Tell him we said Congrats !        Jeb

Frogman

Wow!!  That sounds and looks exciting!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

HaMeR

Congratulations on a fine hunt!!!!!!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11