• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

War Souvenirs

Started by FinsnFur, March 24, 2013, 07:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Question for those in the know.
Tonight's episode of Wild West Alaska, they got a hold of a 1919 machine gun that a relative drug home from the war. He was even able to produce papers for it.

Something that I've always wondered was, how exactly do things like this make it back home? I can't see someone dragging it through the jungle for days like Louisiana looters with a 48 inch big screen.
And I cant see the government handing things like this to people either, which would answer the "papers" question. How do they get papers on it.
When I was little I can remember my Grampa had a couple bayonets and a few metal helmets from one of the wars he was in. They werent American, and I dont remember where he said they originated, I was always timid to ask him too much about it.  But I just took it for granted that he took them off bodies.  :shrug:

So how DO these souvenirs get back here?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

Where there is a will there is a way.  The organizations I was associated with had their own transport no customs involved, no paperwork involved, .  Board in country XYZ and got off at Bragg.  Can't address how the guys are getting things back from Afghanistan or Iraq.  The WWII stuff was easy to bring back - the government wasn't involved in every aspect of your life at that time. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Ladobe

No idea today, but possibly the same to agree with JonhP... in the Vietnam era some of it same as all the conflicts before it - just carried home whether enemy or US issue with no hassles.

I still have most of mine from the Vietnam era - all legal to own.   My father brought back many items from the WWII battles he fought... in the Marshall Islands, taking Iwo Jima, the take over/occupation of Nagasaki soon after Fat Man and Japan's surrender.    He gave me the Arisaka sniper rifle from Iwo well over 50 years ago.   Now with his passing last year I have the rest that survived the years.  Including a missplaced? Belgium Terssen Yatagan style sword bayonet/scabbard circa 1868 that is pretty rare.  Who knows the stories it could tell, or exactly how it ended up in Japan's WWII in the Pacific.   Probably same as many non issue firearms/etc that were carried by US troops in Vietnam, etc.   If it gets it done, why not?

FWIW, there are many organizations set up trying to get war relics returned... to the families of individual soldiers if possible, to the nation otherwise.   Many are not identifyable to an individual, many not even to a unit.    Regardless, there is no US law that requires those brought here by US servicemen be returned, most are not illegal to own, some may require permits.

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

Frogman

I saw on one of those reality auction shows a rifle that a WWII soldier had written his address on a piece of paper and attached it to the stock of the rifle and sent it home like that with no wrapping or packaging.  It made it???  Different times I guess!?

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Very very  interesting. Makes me wish I would asked Grampa more stuff.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

CCP

Got the 1942 Luger and a 1938 Japanese altillery sword from a bring back. I have seen back in the early 80's a Browning Bar that was brought back from the Philippines.

Have heard stories of 1919 and French full auto guns from WW1 I think they stopped bringing back full auto stuff after the 30's distructive act??

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Hawks Feather

Dad was a supply Sgt. in WWII and was told by his CO to send things to his (the CO's home).  Dad asked and was given permission to do the same.  Not much, but a few Nazi items.  He also had some firearms that he brought back on the ship and when they were just outside of New York the PA came on and said that there would be an inspection and anyone found with a firearm would be in trouble.  According to Dad there were quite a few windows that were opened and "things" went flying.

Jerry