• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Coyote down

Started by Frogman, April 27, 2013, 08:30:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

Hey guys,

Jon and I have been night hunting frequently this past week with the full moon.  We try to get in and get set up early before dusk.  Then start calling just before loosing light.  Here that is about 8:30 - 9:00 PM.  Here are some pictures of my night hunting gear.

The big light on my hat is the Boondock Outdoors xlr 100 scanning light with red led.  The other light with the head band is a Coast led light I got at Lowes.  On the rifle is the Boondock Predator pack xlr 250 shooting light with a white led.  The Boondock lights are from Elusive Wildlife Technologies and are very nice lights.  I use the Coast light when walking in and other misc. uses.  The xlr 100 red led light is for scanning after dark.  It will illuminate eyes way out there without spooking the game.  The xlr 250 on the rifle is the shooting light.  When I am ready to shoot I turn it on to make final ID of the target and to shoot.

Jon and I called in a coyote on Thursday evening 4/25/13.  Jon shot it but we could not find it??  Not recovered.  Then last evening on another farm we set up here . . .

That is Jon preparing to call just before dark.

Here is what I was looking at.

Jon started out calling with a few howls, then changed to some pup distress and some prey sounds.
At 8:45 just before we lost shooting light I saw movement way out at the edge of the field.  I had to crank up the power on my scope to make sure it wasn't a deer.  I still had not turned on my lights.  Bang!  Plop!  Flop!  Coyote down.  These next pictures were taken after dark and I could not get the flash on my camera to work so they came out blurred using the Coast light.

Ahhh, still exciting.  Fur down, pictures taken, and blood in the truck.  An exciting evening!

Jim 
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

gravesco hunter

I may have some questions about your light set up,we are going to get to hunt them at night before long,CONGRATS

Dave

Nice write up.  Looks like you got it figured out.

yotefever

Quite the set up you have.
We got the privilege to use lights in WI but 'only at the point of kill', you can't scan for them. I tried it this winter but found you can't do it in the woods, too much reflection coming back at you off the branches. Not a lot of open fields where I hunt so I didn't get out much at night.
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"

JohnP

Congratulations on the coyote and to bad you couldn't recover the other.  Night hunting was just recently ok'd for out here.  However it is shotgun only and only in areas that are having a problem with mule deer, antelope and bighorn sheep recruitment numbers. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

You gotta like that! Nice work Jim and thanks for sharing it with us.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

iahntr

Nice job Frog, congrats !  :yoyo:
I'm goin back down to Texas in sept hog huntin
and plan on doing some night callin too.
I was gonna start another thread on night calling gear
to see what some of the guys that were more familiar with
this were using. We're not allowed to use lights in Iowa.
Scott

markTNhunter

Congrats nice yotes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2