• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Coyote kill

Started by Dave, April 30, 2013, 04:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Talking with my brother earlier today.  He told me his beagle was killed yesterday by a coyote out back of his house.  His property backs up to a reservoir and yesterday afternoon (about 4pm) he had Holly out there.  He got distracted by a phone call and she wandered off after a rabbit.  Once he got off his cell phone he couldn't find Holly.  He said he did a little loop as she always follows his scent back to the house.  About 5:30 he went back out with no luck.  2 am no luck.  He found her early this morning not far from where she disappeared - said it looked like she was skinned alive.  Nothing eaten, just her skin was torn off her from the belly, up over her back and then back to her belly.  Someone told him they will do that to bring the skin back to their den.  Anyone know anything of the sort?
Needless to say he's very upset and is now out for revenge (we're of italian decent).  Before finding her, he contacted the animal control office to see if she was there.  Now this guy has several trail cams out and was back in there looking for their den this afternoon.  Once he's done back there and pulls his cameras I'll head back there to do a little night calling.  Really have not done too much coyote hunting, but I gotta figure it's the same as for fox.  I'll be asking a few questions of you guys in the next week.   

FinsnFur

Finding the den wont do a ton off good, because as soon as mom see's anyone in the vicinity she packs up the kids and hauls out. They generally have another den on reserve.
But you will have luck on your site, cause since the pups typically drop in the middle of April, they will only be a couple weeks old, and they MIGHT give up their location. Plus mom wont be far... guaranteed.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Thanks for the advice.  I was thinking of waiting until the cameras, etc were out of there to poke around as most of the grounds are closed to most activities.  After reading your post, Jim, I think I'll try to get back in there as soon as I can to look for their den in hopes the pups will expose themselves.  I'm listening to any further advice or ideas any of you have on how to maybe find em.   

Dave

No pics, but my brother just shot his second coyote in the past week this morning.  He hasn't recovered either, but feels like they are both very hard hit (both with buckshot) and is just now looking for the one from this morning.   He hasn't found their den site, but he may not need to at this point.

FinsnFur

The dens are very rarely on flat ground. Typical den site would be on the high side of an embankment. An embankment of any kind actually.
We did find one, one year where a bitch used an old hollowed out busted off tree stump.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com