• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First turkey . . .

Started by Frogman, May 06, 2013, 01:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

I never did much turkey hunting.  Kind of strange since it is much like coyote hunting.  My hunting friend Mike is really into it though.  As you have seen from some of my previous posts we have lots of nice turkeys here behind the house.  Mike wanted to come out and get after them.  So I asked him to take me along.  We set up with Mike about 30 yards above me on the hillside.  About 7:50 this morning after he had been calling for a little while I heard Mike shoot.  I turned and just got a glimpse of a coyote running up the hill away from me.  We had been hearing some gobbling out in front and below us.  At about 8:00 AM I saw turkeys coming toward me just to the right of that tree in the middle of the first picture. 

When it got to about 30 yards it turned down the hill.  When I had a clear shot I took it.  My first wild turkey!

10 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs.  Didn't weigh it.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

coyote101

Congratulations Jim  :highclap: :highclap: It's a lot of fun and once you get started it's hard to stop.  :biggrin:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on your first turkey.  After cleaning comes the best part - eating.

Jerry

Frogman

Jerry, or any of you guys,

It's cleaned and in a pan of water.  Any suggestions on preparing it?  Recipes??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

bambam

gravesco hunter

Nice looking bird congrats

riverboss

Congrats Jim! :highclap: Nice bird for sure. I cut my breast into 1"x1" squares and bread it like chicken then heat up the cast iron skillet with a couple of inches of hot grease. Its the best nuggets ive ever ate.

markTNhunter

Congrats on your first gobbler that's a dandy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Hawks Feather

My wife put mine in one of the oven bags.  Since one turkey got dry (even in the bag) she now adds some bullion broth to add extra moisture inside the bag.

Jerry

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

iahntr

Scott

KySongDog

Congrats on your first bird, Jim! 

Quote from: Frogman on May 06, 2013, 01:39:31 PM
I never did much turkey hunting.  Kind of strange since it is much like coyote hunting. 

Turkey hunting is similar to coyote hunting in that you use a shotgun and sit in the woods.  But that is about as close as it gets.   You will learn, little grasshopper.    :laf: