• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Pup rearing

Started by snafu, June 28, 2013, 07:06:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

I scan though a number of predator sites. One topic that comes up occasionally is viability of young pups. Among other aspects of pup rearing.

Pups are typically weaned around 6wks old. At 5wks & beyond. They eat re-gurge from their parents. But will still suckle beyond 6wks. Provided the female is still producing milk & tolerates her pups hammering on her.

One thing that has stuck in my craw. Is a neighboring "un-related" female. Taking in & nurturing another female's pups. I don't buy it. The rarity of a pr keeping back a female yearling from the previous yr. IMO, is mainly due to the old male having another female to breed. Not soley based upon keeping that young female to assist her mother in rearing next yrs litter.

Although coyotes are quite social. I don't believe they are in tune with being welfare supporters. Specifically supporting pups from another non-related female.

Speaking of pups/breeding season. Peak breeding time for both Red Fox & the coyotes in my area. Is around the 3rd wk in January. That is when I see the most groups or prs. Vying for the attention of a lone female. Red Fox tend to den & breed around a month earlier than do the coyotes in my area, on average. The Reds starting as early as late November. The coyotes a month or so later.

A handfull of yrs ago. I was told of a late litter of Red pups. This was in mid October. They were quite small, looked like 9wk old pups. Never say never, I reckon.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

FinsnFur

Interesting. I had no idea they did the regurgitate gig.
But now that you mention it   :confused: I wanna think Ive seen domestic dogs do that for their pups.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

I've read where a few have stated. That when a pr or family group kill a large prey animal. That they call in the neighboring coyotes for the feast. Why of course they do, how democratic of them  :doh2: With that school of thought. Might as well throw out the fact. That a mated pr that has established their own territory, is nothing but bunk.

snafu

No edit feature. I meant to say, a pr OR a family group in my post above.

FinsnFur

I fixed it for you. The ability to edit a post diminishes after 30 minutes. We did that a while back because we had a few rogue members running their mouths and causing damage and then removing the post when the heat got turned on so they could deny it and not be held accountable.
If you ever need anything edited after the 30 minute courtesy time, you can always shoot a pm to me, CCP, Hawks Feather, HaMeR, coyotehunter_1, any one of us would be happy to. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

Thanks Jim. Sometimes after I post something. I get to thinking about what I typed. Then recall later on, that I made an error in my recall. My memory is not the best anymore. Nor is my English. I had a slight stroke 5+ yrs ago. Which hasn't helped me any.

snafu

Most of my pup observations are from observing many active Red Fox dens over the yrs.

When the female is heavy laden & has not dropped her pups yet. The male does the primary hunting & brings his kills to the main entrance hole & leaves it there. Once the pups grow a little. The female will/may venture out & go on short hunts. Otherwise she either stays in the den or comes out occasionally & gets a little fresh air. 

I watched a Red litter one Spring a few yrs ago. Pups were around 5wks old. The female was tagged on a nearby highway. So the male took over her duties. Teaching the pups & taking them out on short jaunts. Once the pups are eating re-gurge. Their isn't any reason(IMO). Why either parent can't rear them alone.

Another thing I've observed about Red Fox pups. Is when they are around 12wks old. They are pretty much on their own. Unlike the coyote pups that tend to hang around until early Winter. Before being dispersed/scattered by their parents.