• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!

Started by Arkyyoter, March 30, 2007, 09:44:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

I narrowly escaped a mild disaster this morning.......I was polishing that tulip call I have been messing with, all was going well.........WHHHOOOOOOOSSSSSHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! The polishing wheel grabbed the call and away it went.....I know it happens as it has happened before, but one little second with a mind somewhere else and......I had to resand the call, losing all the finish up to this point, but did not lose the call...it had two tiny dents in the wood I was able to sand out....so all is well.

The purpose of this post is to say this:

Pay attention at al times in your shop!! It could just as easily been at a saw or drill press or other tool...

I know we all know this, but a little reminder never hurts.....

Joe

HaMeR

Great post Joe.  :biggrin:

I had a table saw incident with a shaper blade installed about 4 years ago. What could have been disastrous was nothing more than band aids & neosporine for 4-5 days.  :whew:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

ninthinning

Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Brad H

I know what you mean. It sucks when that happens. I've got one of those big high power industrial polishers and twice it's turned wood calls into toothpicks. Antler calls just bounce around a little, but antler also tends to hang up the most. My fix will be to cut a notch out of my table under the wheel and hang something underneath to catch whatever gets launched. Thanks for bringing that up Joe. It's definitely something to watch for.

Brad

FinsnFur

Lets see your hands Joe  :noway:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

I about lost my shooting finger two years ago allmost three in a few weeks.  cutting something on a table saw and got both my thumb and my index in the wrong spot at the wrong time.  thank god they are still there.  the thumb works as good as it did before only the there is no feeling in the tip.  the index works about half as good as it did and on cold days even worse.  this makes hunting in the winter very hard.  not a problem getting out there but kinda hard to seal the deal when your finger don't work.  I did get most of the feeling in the index back.  but you can tell that there is limited bloodflow to the tip because it is skinnier then it should be.  after this inccident I allways watch whats going on and being more cautious.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

MattS

I have had a few calls go bouncin all over everywhere from the buffing wheel.  Same thing, the mind starts to wonder after standing there forever and then things go a flyin.

THO Game Calls

Been there done that, got tired of it and came up with a way to reduce the fowl language spewing forth from the shop windows   :eyebrownod:

Cut a wooden dowel or aluminum rod smaller than your bore diameter, about 12 inches long.  Slide your call on it when you buff.  It is easier to hold the dowel or rod with two hands and control things than it is to do with your hands.   It will keep you from repairing as many calls.  You can pickup metal rods at Home Depot or Lowes.  For closed reed callls a 1/4 inch steel or aluminum rod works better than wood.

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Bopeye

It's kind of funny you bring that up Arky. I got a buddy that has loved being around my dad's wood shop for close to 20 years. He finally broke down a few years ago and put together a wood shop for himself. Last year he called it quits since he can only count to 9 3/8ths now.
Two seperate accidents wihin just a few months of each other. :rolleye:
Dad's been at it for almost 50 years and only has one deep scar on his right index finger.......it only takes a second to change the way you pick your nose.  :wink:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free