• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I hope I don't screw this up

Started by MattS, March 27, 2007, 10:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattS

Just like Joe's post on his new call.  I started this the other day and I am very excited to get it on the lathe.  I have never done a laminate to this extreme and I will be very, very upset if I screw this up.  It has been known to happen to often.  I blame my cheap lathe.

Anyway.  I took some pen blanks in maple and wenge and glue them all up.  Then after squareing it up on the table saw, it went on the lathe to bore a hole threw the middle.  Then off to the saw to slice it up in about 3/16 thick slabs.  I added a couple bigger chunks of curly maple for the ends.  With the use of a dowel, 2x4 chunk, and a couple clamps.  I glued them all up rotating every piece 45 degrees.  And that is where I left off.  Just waiting and waiting for the glue to dry.  I am going to be sitting at work all day tomorrow just counting down till I can go home.  But then I have to wait for the kids to go to bed before I ever get a chance to go out and play in the garage.

Here are some picts of the steps and progress I took so far.  Hopefully I will get some success picts tomorrow night.

THO Game Calls

Looks like quite the project you have there!   Lot's of work and imagination.

Can't wait to see the finished call.

Al
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com

Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

DDCalls

Thats awesome.  I have some special blanks coming in that I am planning something similar with.  Get that darn thing turned.  I will be at work all day tomorrow wondering how it turned out also.  GET-R-DONE!!!!!!!! :eyebrow:

David

FinsnFur

Holy cow!  :eyebrownod:
Make sure she's dry before ya chuck it, or she'll chuck it for ya...EVERYWHERE!  :madd:  It'll be like a machine gun   :laf:

Should be an interesting piece. Looking forward to seeing it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

Wow,

That's gonna be a looker!  Can't wait to see it.

Joey
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

Arkyyoter

WoW.......keep that thing together!! I gotta see it!!

Joe

MattS

What a relief.  It worked. 

This turned out just like I wanted it to.  The call design is pretty basic, but I didn't want to get to extreme for the fear of chunking it.

After I took the clamps off I trimmed it up on the bandsaw.

Then I threw it in the chuck to turn out the barrel.  Then off to the mandrel to round her up and figure out what I wanted to do as far as design.

So I decide on some sort of design and start cutting.  I am cutting very slow with any tool I can find that is still sharp.

This is after I got a few coats of oil and sanding.

AND HERE IT IS!!!!!!!! After the first wax.  I am going to wax some more.

I am going to have to put it back on the lathe and do some more sanding.  I am looking at these pictures and seeing some spots  that I couldn't see earlier.  Oh well.

Todd Rahm

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

Boy, that call is sure looking good!  Makes me wanna go hack up some blanks!

Very nice!!

Joey
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

kkbait

DirtyDog

That thing is sweet......very nice work. I know I would not ever have the patience for something like that.  :congrats:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

MattS

Thanks for all the comments guys.  It still needs some more work.  I am not real thrilled about the mouth piece.  I am thinking about changing it to an open reed.  With a nice wood board.    I don't know yet.  What do you think?

keekee

I think it looks very good! I wouldnt change a thing in the design. You should be proud of that call!

Brent

CypressSlough

Matt that is a sweet looking call. I liked the little tutorial and step-by-step tranformation with it. I like it. Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

vvarmitr

That was really cool Matt! Thanks very much I really enjoyed that. :biggrin:

kkbait