• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

New Computer

Started by Carolina Coyote, February 01, 2014, 07:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

My Computer died Tuesday morning, locked the operating system down and would not let me on the internet (Not Funny), Called my service provider and they came out and found a problem with the outside wiring that was causing a low signal, he fixed that but computer would still not connect to the internet, more phone calls to service provider finally they told me to call Microsoft, stayed on phone with Microsoft for about 4 hours and they could not figure out what was wrong, Tried everything to unlock the operating system, I asked several times if this was a common occurrence, never got an answer. Computer is 4 to 5 years old so I decided that it would be cheaper to just buy another computer, so that is what I did, I am now the proud pissed off owner of a brand new shiny black HP desktop with Windows 8.
Being the hard core Conservative and Anti- Obama that I am brings strong suspicion that they hacked my computer. Sounds crazy but I would not put it past the Anti-Christ. :innocentwhistle:
Anyway for sure Windows 8 is different but once learned how to use could be a lot better.
cc

CCP

QuoteBeing the hard core Conservative and Anti- Obama that I am brings strong suspicion that they hacked my computer.

Strange you mention that as I thought I was loosing my mind somehow.

I have had no problems with my computer internet until i started posting some of my views on a fairly liberal site. Since them I get blue screen once daily and CCcleaner shuts down my computer now for some reason. Maybe in my head but sure makes a guy wonder.

I can restart and run CCcleaner and all my antivirus software and it don't find nothing. Did all the system and memory checks and cant find anything. Wonder if I call the NSA  and rat you out they will fix it back for me. :alscalls:

BTW hope you get along with Windows 8..

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Carolina Coyote

I agree CCP Very, very strange, like you I started getting the Blue screens and run CCeaner daily along with Malaware to try and make sure no virus and the Computer was working just fine on Monday. When even Microsoft can't fix, something is sure strange, everyone else beware, I don't think you need to contact NSA they already know all about me and the bad news is they know about you to.  :alscalls: cc

JohnP

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on February 01, 2014, 09:46:46 AM
I don't think you need to contact NSA they already know all about me and the bad news is they know about you to.  :alscalls: cc

Unfortunately I think your closer to the truth than a lot of people realize.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

KySongDog

Go ninja and run a VPN and at least make it a little harder for them to find you.   :readthis:

Carolina Coyote

Semp, If I only knew what a VPN was I would try. I played with Windows 8 most of the day yesterday until a message came across the screen that Microsoft Defender had detected a signal that was trying to open a window on my computer and that I needed to immediately clean the computer, I closed everything and downloaded Malwarebythes and scanned the harddrives and over 50 items was detected that needed to be removed. to my knowledge I never open anysite that would be  interested in hacking my computer so more suspicion on NSA, anyone have any ideas on how to protect my computer I would be very grateful. cc

KySongDog

Carl

A VPN is a virtual private network.  It encrypts your transmissions to make it harder for third parties to snoop on your online activities and masks your actual IP address.  For example, as far as FnF knows, I am typing this from Texas right now. 

Just Google VPN and a ton of them will pop up.  Here are some good ones. 

https://airvpn.org/

https://mullvad.net/en/

http://bolehvpn.net/

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

Carolina Coyote

Thanks Semp, I will try that out, I know some will think my suspicions are unreal but I do not trust this administration, to much info out there now to prove the will do anything to stay in power. cc

FinsnFur

Personally I dont like or trust VPN / proxie servers. The biggest majority of them have already been caught logging user info and activity. So you have to wonder what they do with that info. Are they selling it? Are they profiling? Some claim they use it soley for marketing to taylor specific ads to each user.
Something to keep in mind is that while many of them claim to offer "overrated" privacy. Your confidentiality goes out the door for most of the transmission.  Meaning from the VPN client to the VPN server. In other words you might be perfectly anonymous appearing to the website your visiting... but dont be fooled. Your not during the transmission. Everything in between there is wide open.  :eyebrownod:
Because of that ..VPNs while were typically designed for hiding identity from certain websites, they actually provide a funnel for those looking for your info. Remember the infamous Lulzsec hackers? They were busted by using a VPN. If anyone wants anything good...their going to hit a VPN. The police and the government both view these as candy jars because everything they want is right there. There's no blending in and no searching.
And there's not a VPN in the world thats going to deny the government access to anyones logs. Think about it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Carolina Coyote

Thanks Jimbo, Lot of good info in that message, I agree I don't think you can hide from NSA and with this administration you can expect anything to happen, don't know if you remember but several years ago I posted a anti-Obuma link on here and someone signed in as GSA (General Service Administration) and tried to debunk the  info that was on the link, if in fact he was from the GSA what he done was illegal, I still believe in our Constitution of the right to free speech even if it is a  lie or not, no one  working for the Government should be cruising the web looking  for ways to attack the general public, I think now after fives years of this Dipshit president everyone should be able to recognize he is the worst thing that every held the office of President. I don't plan to change my attitude because of his disgusting view of the constitution he swore to uphold and the people he has appointed to powerful positions that is destroying our Country. I just plan to run a security scan every day to try and prevent  them hacking into my computer.  :innocentwhistle: cc

KySongDog

I had typed a big long retort ( :biggrin: I like that word) to Jimbo's reply but then thought I really need to cut down on my internet jousting.  :laf:

So I will say 'uncle' and leave it at that.   :eyebrownod:

Carolina Coyote

Computer security is a big concern for me now with what happened that someone locked my operating system down and even Microsoft could not tell me what was needed to fix, this new computer came with a trial period of Norton but I had so much trouble with Norton on the other computer I remove it on this one. I appreciate any information on what is the best and most economical system out there to protect myself, trying to learn Windows 8 and surfing the net it seem like everything I click on puts Malware in the system so I do run the anti-malware everyday and it amazes me how many items show up on the scan. I do my Banking on the grid plus shopping and I try to be careful about what sites I visit but with all the hacking going on it looks like I am gonna have to go back to school to educate myself on these things.
Jim and Semp both made some points about VPN's and I looked at some of them but some of the information they asked for I was not sure what to provide so right now I am depending on Microsoft Defender and Anti-Malware for protection. So what do you guys think is the best anti virus program out there? cc

HaMeR

QuoteSo what do you guys think is the best anti virus program out there? cc

I've been using Trend for about 5 years now & like it a lot. Altho I know nothing about operating systems I do know that I never seem to have any conflicts with either Windows or FireFox and it has saved my bacon a few times. Plus one subscription is good for 3 computers.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

I use the same one Glen has, no problems to date. 
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Carolina Coyote

I checked with Trend and they do not have a plan to support Windows 8.1 right now. But thanks for the input. cc

FinsnFur

I went with Kaspersky a while back and simply love it.
And actually  Kaspersky is where the biggest majority of the anti virus software makers,  get their virus definitions and updates.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

Carolina Coyote

Thanks Jimbo I will check into that, I did a search for antivirus soft ware for windows 8 and Kaspersky came up as one of the top software's also MSE which is Microsoft Defender which is already on my computer but I all ready know it does not block malware as when I run a scan to many items coming up, what do you know about the Microsoft program? cc 

KySongDog

If you want to explore the VPN option, here is an article that explains what it is and why you need one. 

http://lifehacker.com/5940565/why-you-should-start-using-a-vpn-and-how-to-choose-the-best-one-for-your-needs

The one I use keeps NO LOGS on anything.  Which, as Jim says, is important.  Without a VPN you are left with at the mercy of your Internet Service Provider (ISP).   The ISP sees everything you do, keeps logs, knows every website you visit, and can read any transmission you make. 

Feel better yet?

FinsnFur

Never heard of microsoft defender Carl..but never looked either :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers