• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

First Day First Tag Filled

Started by dog dropper, November 02, 2014, 10:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dog dropper

Well she's been a while since I've thrown a post up, but the first day of big game hunting season has come and gone and I figured I would show you all what we got.

I'm still hunting with the 243. that I won a few years back on here, and it still shoots true and straight. My best friend and I were sitting up on one of my favorite spots for moose yesterday morning when we seen a cow and calf come trotting out of the bush around three hundred yards west of us. Slowly they worked their way towards until momma moose finally either seen us or caught a wiff of human on the breeze, as the wind was not in our favor. The pair started jogging away from us heading for the bush on the south of end of clearing, also arguably the thickest bush in the area. So Lance and I start barking like a pack of coyotes trying to get them to slow down, they got within a hundred yards from the edge of the clearing and were about 250 yards away from us when I decided to take my shot seeing as anything over 250 yards in the body with a 243. in my experience usually ended in a lot of tracking. I lined up the calf that was tailing behind led her just about perfect just held a little high but when I looked back she was laying on the ground. :biggrin:

There was still plenty of life in her so we put it down, and at that point I had a slight dilemma. How was I supposed to load a moose with only three arms between the two of us. Lance had broken his arm two weeks ago in a football game and he has always been my go to guy for helping me lift things. So we had to get a little creative with our loading techniques. We had to drag her behind the truck to the top of a sand hill that we could back up to and hopefully roll it into the box. Everything was lined up but we still would've had to lift it 6 inches. And after about 20 minutes of trying to do that Lance had a pretty bright idea. "Why don't you do a break stand and dig the tires down to lower it". Now most of the time this isn't really something I would consider seeing as dad can get a little angry about spinning the tires.  :eyebrow: Butttttttt he wasn't there and i figured it would work so round and round the tires went until all we had to do was roll the little porker into the truck.

After a detour to see if we could find anything else to throw in the back of the truck we made it home and gutted her out, in record time I might add :laf: Got it hanging in the shop and we were off to the next spot.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's hilarious!!!

coyote101

Way to go Bob!  :yoyo: :yoyo: Congratulations on the moose and thanks for sharing the story.  :biggrin: Tell your dad I said hello.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

riverboss

Man what a story!! With a 243 at that. Way to go young man!!

Carolina Coyote

Way to go Bobby, good write up and good shooting, what on the end of the horn behind the Moose?  :congrats: cc

HuntnCarve

Real nice Bobby!  Way to go!  Be sure and tell your Dad, Mom and Brother hello.  Glad to see you are doing well and still hunting.  Good luck with the rest of your season.  Keep us posted.

HuntnCarve
Dave

FinsnFur

"Do a break stand to dig the tires in and lower the truck" :alscalls: :yoyo: :yoyo: I love it!
Nice job on the Moose, Bobby. Nice shooting.
Good to see ya a round. By the way...I see some paws in the air in that truck too. :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Loved the story!  Well done and well told.

Yep, say hi to your Dad.

Hawks Feather

Congratulations on the moose.  There sure is a lot of meat on one of those compared to our little white tails around here.

Tell you Dad I said 'Hi."

Jerry

slagmaker

congratulations on the meat. Loved the injunity on getting her loaded.

ad the rifle is still doing well for you. Hope your dad and family are doing.well.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FOsteology

Bob,

Glad to see the .243 is still serving you well! Tell your old man I said hello.

KySongDog

Nice job, Bobby!   And say hello to the old fart for me. 

HaMeR

Way to go Bobby!! You've got a good start on the Winter freezer fillin!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

msmith

A little late but, good job Bob! Good to see that 243 drawing blood. Looks like a productive day with a calf moose and looks like some yote paws sticking up there too. Like the others, tell your dad hey for me.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Todd Rahm

Great story Dropper!! In some cases it's not so easy, ya just have to improvise. Nicely done!

bambam