• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

New logging rds & new angles on mtns

Started by Okanagan, January 01, 2015, 02:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

Taken my last day of deer season, Dec. 15.

The peak below is Baby Mundy, near where I saw goats earlier in the Fall.

Mt. Slesse below, very close to US/Canadian border.  Wife calls it the Thumb.

coyote101

That is truly beautiful country.  :biggrin: And a tad more rugged than I am used to in Western Kentucky.  :sneer:

Pat   
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

They look like they have been chiseled in. Cool pics for sure. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

JohnP

Sure doesn't look like anything down here, but sure is pretty.  I think your wife got it right, looks like a thumb to me.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

Dale

I start getting chest pains just looking at the pictures and thinking about humping those hills, but they sure are pretty...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

Carolina Coyote

Beautiful scenery there, I guess perfect habitat for Mountain Goats. Packing out a Game animal has to be torture. cc

Okanagan

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on January 02, 2015, 06:03:43 AM
Beautiful scenery there, I guess perfect habitat for Mountain Goats. Packing out a Game animal has to be torture. cc

Hunt above the road!

Bone it out unless it is an easy drag down.

In early Fall when deer are at high elevation I like to hike up to hunt timberline, often an overnight proposition.  Age is eroding that kind of hunt for me.

Yes, it is good goat country but too wet for sheep and most kinds of game.  Plenty of Mt. goats and black bears, a few Roosevelt elk along the border and surprisingly few blacktail deer. Last week I counted up a total of six deer of any sex any time of year that I've seen in that 20 mile long valley in 20 years -- and told my wife to remind me not to waste my time hunting deer there even though it is the closest place.    :shrug: :nofgr:

Plenty of bobcats, fair cougar numbers and a few coyotes. 

Three days before the end of the season I called in three deer in a somewhat better place to hunt deer an hour's drive farther.  No antlers on any of them.  I opted to hunt this place on the last morning, did three calling stands with no response in old growth timber above the road and went home at midday.

Dave

Your pics are always incredible.  I'm sure hunting that country, though, is exhausting!

Carolina Coyote

Hunt above the road!    "  And Close to the Road. " :biggrin:

Okanagan

FWIW Baby Mundy mountain peak in September, same as 4th pic in the original post.  Deer love those green alpine meadows and live there all summer till the snow drives them down.

Okanagan

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on January 03, 2015, 06:03:20 AM

Hunt above the road!    "  And Close to the Road. " :biggrin:

Where's the best place to shoot a moose?

Right beside the road.   :alscalls:

Most long time hunters in this country have a misery tale of a deer/elk etc. that was shot above the road that ran down below and rolled, slid or fell waaaaay down in a canyon.

Carolina Coyote

I can just see them now standing on the side of road looking down in the Canyon.  :doh2:  :madd: That would be one he--- of a fix to be in. cc  The scenery along would be worth the Hunt.