• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hard core

Started by snafu, January 03, 2015, 09:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

I reckon it's been 10yrs at least if not a tad more. A stout NorWester wind. WC around -30. A deep fresh powder snow covered the land. I was driving some gravel roads in the some hilly crop land terrain. I paused upon a high hill top to glass 360. I panned to my West, out around 1/2 mile. I seen a slumped over little white mass. Working it's way Westward along a drifted fence line.

I seen it was a predator hunter clad in all white. I thought there is a hard core hunter. I watched him come my way. Then it occurred to me. This hunter isn't some young buck. As his step was wobbly & he listed from left to right during his deep slog. I thought, he is an old guy. Hard core as well.

I had to meet this guy. We were brothers.

I topped the next high hill. There sat an older beater Dodge pick-up. With an elderly man sitting behind the wheel. I pulled up in front & got out to meet him. He was 85 he said. I asked him who is your partner out there? He told me that was his older Bro. I felt humbled right then. I had to wait & meet his Bro. Here he came. He was cold, stiff & bent over form age. But he still chugged along. We visited a bit.

They both told me they were "coyote hunters" prior to WWII. They both enlisted in the Army & fought in Europe. Then when they got back home. They resumed killing the coyotes. I shook their hands & thanked them for their service.

They were hard core.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

FinsnFur

Boy I'd say they WERE!   :congrats:

Are you sure the Dodge wasnt broke down :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

Probably? Jim. There was a team of mules hitched to the front bumper.  I just left that part out :laf:

FinsnFur

LOL! It's starting to make sense now.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

gravesco hunter

hope i am still able to hunt at that age

Okanagan

Sounds to me like there were three hard core men out in that blizzard! :biggrin:

possumal

Yeah, Snafu, you met brothers to the core, hard core.  That had to be a special day.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

snafu

I left out the best part. As we were visiting on the road. They told me how they hunted. Once they cut a track. They would take turns walking that track mile after mile. I thought holy cow that is some grunt work humping through the hills. One brother remarked, we would tire the coyote out then kill it. They both grinned on that remark  :laf: Priceless   :bowingsmilie:

FinsnFur

I wonder how they took turns :confused: The off guy musta been following by radio to meet somewhere?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

snafu

Quote from: Okanagan on January 04, 2015, 12:05:16 PM
Sounds to me like there were three hard core men out in that blizzard! :biggrin:

I've been out -40WC only once. But have hunted many times on well below zero WC days. One time after shooting a coyote after a long hump. By the time I got back to my truck I couldn't move my hands or fingers. I pulled my gloves off with my teeth. Then shoved my froze hands down into & under all of my clothes. Clasping my hands in between my bare thighs to thaw out my fingers. In order to fetch my truck keys out of my front pocket.

Right as I'm bent over near my truck on the gravel road. Here came a farmer. He slowed & stared at me but keep on going.  :laf: :laf:

snafu

Jim, these were mostly 1 square mile open hilly sections. Surrounded by gravel roads. Often easy to see deep into a section at various angles. They would stay on track until either the coyote was shot in that section. Or crossed over into the next section. Then the other brother would take the track.