• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Ohio State

Started by JohnP, January 12, 2015, 04:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Hope you guys and gals win the big one tonight.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HaMeR

Thank You kindly Mr. John!!

I hope it's a real barn burner of a football game!!!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:

:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: GOOOOOOOO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Thanks John,

I don't care if it is a barn burner or just a dull game.  That is as long as OSU wins.  Hopefully it will be a good game and not a blowout by either team.

Jerry

JohnP

Half time - should be 35 - 10 not 21 -10.

possumal

Most people thought Oregon would be too quick for Ohio State. They may have been a little quicker but Ohio State was much stronger on both sides of the ball, and even had a superior pass defense.  It is easy to drink the Koolaid and buy what the talking heads say, but it appears to me that the Oregon quarterback was way overrated.  That may be a little unfair of me considering the difference in lines on both sides of the ball, but I don't think so.  Ohio State proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that buckeyes are not worthless nuts.  Considering what beavers are considered, they got a good one tonight.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Hawks Feather

Four turnovers, third quarterback, against a team that averages 40 and held to half that.  I think we have a winner.

Jerry

JohnP

" I think we have a winner."  I think your right!

I think things just got a little "tougher" for SEC Football.  Unbelievable that with four turnovers they still win. 

Hawks Feather

John,

You never know.  Another season, another player, another anything, and the outcome could be way different.  I enjoy watching college football, but if a team wins or doesn't win doesn't really affect anything for me personally.  Yea, I am very happy OSU won, but if they would have lost I still would have been happy for their year.  This was OSU's year and could be (or could not be) for a couple of years, but no one stays on top forever.  The SEC will be a contender again next year, but other coaches are seeing the type of players they have and the styles of offense and are wise enough to copy what works.

Jerry

HaMeR

Another stout defensive effort by that Buckeye defense.  Zeke Elliott is a man among boys & the offensive line just physically imposed their will.

I still think Marcus Mariota is a very good QB in the Russell Wilson style & has a bright future at the next level. Also the Ducks were down 2 big players on offense & one of those was their VERY dangerous kick return man. I'm not certain the outcome would have changed with those 2 out there but one never knows.

An interesting stat I heard was with about 4 or 5 minutes left in the game. Oregon had only run 15 plays up to that point in the 2nd half. Line of scrimmage domination for sure.

BTW-- IF anybody is interested,, The Buckeyes are one of the youngest teams in the country with over 1/2 their starters just being sophomores. They will only lose a few players this April.

Great game!!!!!!!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyote101

Congratulations to Ohio State.  :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Carolina Coyote

Congratulations to you Buckeye fans, good job and well done. cc

Okanagan

Congrats to Ohio!  The Buckeyes dominated.  Oregon was outcoached and outplayed on the field, a masterful game plan executed superbly.  Ohio contained the Oregon QB the few times he got on the field while the Ohio QB went from unheard of to a place in the NFL draft.  That young man is big, strong and fast with a cannon arm that is accurate. 

I'm just barely into football enough to be curious how Urban Meyer's team negated the Oregon linebackers.  It was like Oregon didn't have anyone who knew how to play the linebacker position, and they were out of position on nearly every play.  It is hard to believe Oregon got that far without linebackers so I suspect that is coaching.

Odd game to watch with such different styles.

I'm tickled to see such a proven great team win the National title.

HaMeR

The Oregon linebackers are very good. Having said that the Wisconsin, Alabama & Oregon linebackers were literally forced to play the run on every play. Once that commitment has been accomplished by the running game you can then impose your will. The Buckeye O-line was throwing blocks to spring Elliott & Jones at the line of scrimmage. The tight ends were hitting the linebackers quickly because they came up to the line on the snap to stop the run. They were almost running a run blitz defense. With a good strong running back there's a lot of open field 3-4 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Elliott found a lot of them.

This opens the middle of the field to the short passing routes which the Buckeyes took advantage of. Once those passes started being hit it was time to go deep. Cardale Jones throws the ball like a man & gets it to his receivers when & where they need it to be.

Total domination on the defensive side of the ball for Ohio State was the key to all of this.

And did I mention how this team was starting a bunch of freshman & sophomores??  :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

JohnP

Is QB #1 and QB #2 returning next season?  If so do you think there will be a QB controversy? I quit following Big Ten football a few years back may have to start watching again.

possumal

One of the talking heads said that it is said that the number 2 quarterback is talking about transferring.  I would think that number 1 will be back but he may have some trouble beating Jones out next year.  They have most of their personnel coming back so they should be rated number one going in.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Okanagan

Hamer, good analysis as to what happened and how they actually played.  Yet for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the Oregon linebackers didn't adjust to hang back and actually back up the linemen instead of jumping ahead and becoming essentially linemen themselves.  One step past the line of scrimmage and that running back was often past nearly all of the defensive players.   The most difficult thing for a defensive end or linebacker to do on a run play is to stay in position when every cell in his body is screaming to go to the ball.  Yet a heartbeat of wait as the offensive linemen block open a hole (or a QB tries to read the DE's move) allows the linebacker to meet the runner in the hole rather than already be crammed uselessly along the line of scrimmage.   I expected better from college players, but they are just kids.

No question Ohio linemen controlled the game so totally that the QB and running back could romp at will, and keep the dangerous Oregon offense from playing much.     Excellent strategic game played with hard straight football.

Hawks Feather

Glen is starting to talk like a coach.  You know there is an opening for the offense...  If you take it I would love to get a sideline pass.   ;yes;

Possum, I had heard rumblings that the original #1 Braxton Miller had thoughts of taking his one (redshirt) remaining year and going elsewhere, but nothing on the #2.  But I had also heard that it looked like OSU would get their #1 high school recruit.  Winning the National Title can't hurt the recruiting at all.

Jerry

HaMeR

The only theory I can come up with is they thought they could stop the run game. And after the 1st quarter they didn't make the necessary adjustments. By then it was too late & they were getting beaten down & beginning to tire. The running game kept the pressure on a defense that has always played from in front of the scoreboard. Physical football on the most basic level won the game.

Oregon didn't tackle very well either.  Did you see QB Jones run over the nose tackle 3-4yds beyond the line of scrimmage for that 1st down??!!  :laf: :laf:

I'm NOT a braxton miller fan at all. He can go elsewhere & I'll be happy with that. But I see him staying for another ring.

JT Barrett made this whole season possible. Not saying Jones wouldn't have gotten them there but rather with Barrett as the starter all season he was the one that did get them into position. I think they are all staying.

I think it would be in millers best interest from a health perspective to either not play full time or take a reserved role in the offense with his shoulder. This is twice he's had the same injury & they talk like it's a 8-10 month recovery period.

:laf: :laf: @ Jerry!!
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

Saw this from Nike.

They called you lucky.

They called you undeserving.

They called your conference weak and your team untested.

They called the other teams a dynasty, the favorite, unbeatable.

They called your ranking disputable and surprising.

They called you an underdog.

But now, they call you something else.

Under the text, appears the Ohio State marching band in a formation that spells out “Champions.”

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

2014-15 TBC-- 11