• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Record low snowpack may endanger salmon run

Started by Okanagan, March 14, 2015, 11:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

It is raining today and I hope it is piling snow on the mountains.  If we don't get more snow up there then we are in for a serious drought this summer.  That could be a disaster for the big sockeye salmon run in the Fraser River, and hurt all the other salmon species as well.  Our hottest and driest weather of the year is ususally in late July through early Sept. and that warms up the river water.  Water temps approaching the 70's is really hard on salmon and a lot of them die before reaching spawning ground when the water gets that warm.  Fisheries Canada is concerned that they may have to close all salmon fishing to let a few survivors spawn. 

When we have lots of snow on the mountains holding water in reserve, then warm weather makes the river rise with cold water from freshly melted snow and glaciers.  That cools the rivers and is good for salmon.  A friend of mine from Oklahoma one year was amazed that the hotter the weather got in late June, the higher and up to flood stage the rivers got.  :confused: He argued with me in spite of what he saw and insisted that only rain makes rivers rise. 

Meanwhile we have dandelions, people wearing shorts to get tans and depending on how diligent the home owner, second or third mowing of lawn.

nastygunz

Around here the snow is still measured in feet and the temperature the last two days was 15 above, but today it is raining out!

Dave

Interesting. 
We are just about rid of our snow as temps have been getting into the 50's over the last week.  Hoping that's the end of it - I'm ready for spring!
Wish you luck with getting your snow - just be sure Snafu doesn't pay you a visit. He's a snow jinx!  :huh:

MI VHNTR

LOTS of snow here, but it's finally starting to melt. If you have a truck and trailer, you can load up right in my front yard and haul as much as you want away. I sure won't miss the stuff.
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

nastygunz

Has anyone ever went out at night and checked out the Vernal pools created by spring runoff ? Fascinating stuff sometimes.

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com