• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Red den cluster

Started by snafu, June 17, 2015, 04:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snafu

A few yrs ago. I knew of 7 active Red dens in a 9 mile stretch. Can't say how many I was not aware of, so who knows? 3yrs ago I became aware of 3 active Red dens. All right at 1/4 mile apart from each other. Although these same areas hold a few coyotes. The Reds remain.

Back in the early 60's the Reds mainly denned out 1/4-1/2 mile off the roadways. Most now days den in the road ditches. I'm think of asking al gore about this. May be? from globule warming of the van allen radiation belt? me tinks. :laf:  :doh2:
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

FinsnFur

I wonder if they all shack up in the same hood like rednecks. My brother trapped a big red a couple years ago, reset the trap for the heck of it and ended up catching 6 more on the same set.
Redfox, Redneck   :huh:    :wo:   :shrug:  :laf:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

snafu

No doubt their territories over-lap greatly from what I've seen. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this?

Okanagan

Interesting and surprising about red foxes denning in road ditches.  I saw that once and assumed that it was unusual.

When I spent several spring months in central Saskatchewan several years ago, a pair of red foxes had a den about eye level in a cut bank of a two lane highway.  After first seeing the mating pair I watched for them and soon saw clumsy little pups and watched them grow. 

Old timers tell me that there used to be numerous red foxes in this coastal border area where I now live, and no coyotes.  Local lore is that when coyotes came in the late 60's/70's they took over and eliminated reds around here.  Never talked with a game biologist about it.  Have never seen a fox nor a fox track within a half day's drive of here but see many coyotes, and like many here at Fins and Fur I tend to see more game than most people.

snafu

Quote from: Okanagan on June 17, 2015, 10:18:06 PM
Interesting and surprising about red foxes denning in road ditches.  I saw that once and assumed that it was unusual.

When I spent several spring months in central Saskatchewan several years ago, a pair of red foxes had a den about eye level in a cut bank of a two lane highway.  After first seeing the mating pair I watched for them and soon saw clumsy little pups and watched them grow. 

Old timers tell me that there used to be numerous red foxes in this coastal border area where I now live, and no coyotes.  Local lore is that when coyotes came in the late 60's/70's they took over and eliminated reds around here.  Never talked with a game biologist about it.  Have never seen a fox nor a fox track within a half day's drive of here but see many coyotes, and like many here at Fins and Fur I tend to see more game than most people.

Interesting.

Well in my area both canines inhabit the land. Since the coyotes moved in. The Reds have occupied the road ditches mainly when denning. Otherwise they'll den close to towns, acreages & farms.