• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

LYNX down, my turn to shoot

Started by Okanagan, February 21, 2016, 11:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

We got them here but we can't shoot or trap them. The fish & game commission just approved bobcat hunting,trapping again though,  despite a huge outcry from the angry tree huggers!

HaMeR

Thanks for the info Ok!! I would much rather take your word on these things!!   :biggrin: :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Okanagan

Quote from: HaMeR on February 23, 2016, 06:17:06 AM
Thanks for the info Ok!! I would much rather take your word on these things!!   :biggrin: :biggrin:

Tikani and pitw likely have more experience with lynx than I do.  Where I hunt is the edge of lynx country and there aren't many of them down our way compared to up north.

bigben

pretty cool.  Good job on a pretty critter.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Frogman

WTG!!  Nice cat!  I have never seen one.  We have bobcats.  Good shooting!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

snafu

Congratulations! Good write up & cool scenery pics as well.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

gravesco hunter

Coulter

Awesome...That is hands down one of my favorite furs. They are just flat out soft.

Steve

Okanagan

Quote from: Coulter on February 23, 2016, 06:43:26 PM
Awesome...That is hands down one of my favorite furs. They are just flat out soft.

Steve

Plushest, softest fur I've ever handled.

Dave

Just saw your post, Clyde.  What a great hunt and write up!!!
Congrats!
Great pics too.  Can really see what it takes to keep that kitty on top of the snow.

Okanagan

Thawed and skinned the lynx today.  Wow.  I learned a lot.

First pic below shows the bottom of the lynx's foot lying on my hand, not extended at all.  That is the pad side!  Somewhere under all of that fur is a black leather pebbly bare pad.

Pics below are the front foot and then the back foot, about 5 1/2 inches wide when really spread.  The toes are long and webbed with skin between them.  It's feet spread as big as a 150 lb. cougar and this one only weighs about 25 lbs.  The hind feet are slightly larger, close to 6 inches wide when toes are spread.  Both photos show the bottom, pad side of the paw.

Hidden somewhere in all of that fur are some super sharp big claws.

Like the claws, the teeth are longer in relation to diameter than other cats I've handled. 

Further discoveries:

1.  The cat was broadside rather than angling toward me as I thought when I shot it. 

2.  The first bullet was tumbling and entered sideways near the last rib, with an oval entry hole almost silver dollar size, and a four inch oval exit which took out the last rib.  Ugly.  The bullet ticked a willow before it hit the cat.  Using a .243 on smallish critters caught up with me.  No regrets.   

3.  My snap second shot as it took off hit the lynx at the back of one hindquarter.  It caught about an inch of the thigh muscle and only made a .24 pencil through, and took enough fur with it to plug the holes tightly.   Makes me feel a little better about my shooting. 

FinsnFur

Those are some great pics :congrats:
Ballz o mighty that thing has some big feet.  :huh:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

If something gets away from those claws they're gonna leave a blood & scent trail for sure!! Don't think I want bit by one of them either!!!! I like the unique characteristics built into wildlife for their survival.  Large padded feet for snow travel yet they aren't clumsy when they run on clear ground.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Dave

Thanks for the follow up post
Very interesting pics and observations
Guess they can move like a ghost through (or over) any terrain with all that furry padding