• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

My first glue together call

Started by Brad H, May 02, 2007, 08:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad H

Last summer I sliced up some Garb Ebony and some Hackberry that I cut out of my own backyard with the intent of making a bumble bee looking howler. When the basic shape was fromed on the lathe I wasn't happy with it and threw it off to the side.

Now, 10 months later, and after seeing all the new work coming out from everyone, I figured I'd show you guys how bad I can really be at making a lam' call, and give you something to laugh at. So I slipped this in in between projects.

It didn't turn out that way though. I was pretty happy with it in the end. Don't get me wrong, you can still laugh at it, but I learned a lot from this first one. For one thing, the ebony dust filled up the hackberry grains causing the highlight in that wood. Not a bad thing though. A long time ago I read Al recommend lining up the grains on a project like this...never even occurred to me at the time. The grains just happened to line up in a unique way by accident. The finishing went well but was tricky on top because I used a finishing sander to help the aluminum sleeve flow into the top of the wood for a better transition. Aluminum sands nicely in a case like this. Otherwise, this was my first time using oil, polish, and wax, (thanks again, Al). It really beats the hell out of friction polish.

I don't remember what I used for glue. Some kind of wood glue that was sitting around at the time I think.

I'll probably keep it around for a while, but it's spoken for if and when I do sell it.

Also, I'm open for any suggestions or tips any of you wood pros have.

Arkyyoter

That's wild lookin' Brad.....and that tone board is to die for!!!

Joe

FinsnFur

wow..that is something else.  :yoyo:
I think it looks pretty cool. Maybe what turned you off Brad was the drastic subtle difference in the chosen colors. But it's still dang slick lookin.

Did you make that toneboard.....or is that a hush hush toneboard...regardless I agree with Joe. SaWeeeet!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bowjunkie

sweet ain't the word fer that call FREAKIN AWESOME is more like it man whos it sold to so's I can mug em at the mailbox  :biggrin:

Hawks Feather

Brad,

It sure looks good to me.  I do know about the problem or in this case neat effect of ebony dust, but I have not come up with a 100% solution.  Washes with thinners, compressed air, etc. will help, but not totally take care of the problem.  But, it doesn't matter this time because the highlight is great.

Jerry

HaMeR

Thats a purdy cool call you got there!!  Me likes it!! :eyebrow:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

Dad gum pretty call Brad!  I like the way the dust filled the grain. Looks great!!!  The lanyard groove in the aluminum is pretty cool.  No way I'd hunt with it though.  I'd be to worried about loosing it!  Again very nice.   :congrats:

Joey
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

rjl54

Hey, I don't see any thumb skin wedged between the lams so you must have done a good job :laf:
  Seriously, that's a sharp looking call.  Good Job!
                                                                      Randy

Todd Rahm

I really like it to Brad. The ebony dust in the grain makes it pop, and I love the fact the grain flows through the call.  :congrats: :congrats:

Braz

Very nice call. I love the way the dust filled the grains and the aluminum blending is great. You done good!
Braz

Fireball221

That is one cool looking call Brad!  As for the bumble bee comment, the grain looks like a swarm of bees going thru the wood, really cool looking.  Great job!!!

awh

I agree with the rest of them. Very Very nice. :yoyo:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

ninthinning

That turned out great.  Been wanting to do that ever since I read Ed Glenn and Greg Keats book.
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Brad H

That might be a long walk, Ed. :nono:

Some good ideas to remove the dust, Jerry, but now I'm wondering if there's anyway to stuff more of it in the contrasting grains on purpose.lol

Thank you, everyone!

Brad

bearmanric

very nice Brad it is nice to see piece's matching going down the call.that is for sure one of the better glue up's very nice. dangit was going to the dump. but after seeing Jerry's Rosewood burl and your call i need to turn. have some pretty amboya burl and snakewood. Brad dont care any more going to steal your style of toneboard. take care. Rick

CypressSlough

Brad that's a pretty cool call. The way the grain lines up, it almost looks like it was wrapped with electrical tape rather than laminated. It has to be one of the best grain alignment jobs I've seen. Cool.

Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

quackerstacker

how much sumptin like that set a fella back?

steve
my name is steve and im addicted to bonkers

Brad H

OK, Rick. You have full permission to steal my design. But ONLY you. :biggrin: :laf:

Thanks, Brian!

Steve,
I really don't know yet. This is kinda new ground for me. And I really don't know how to compare it to anything else? Probably $50 plus or minus? It's a great working howler, and that's the majority of what I base that on.

Brad

keekee

Brad,

I haft to say it turned out very nice! I dont see no problems with it at all!  Very nice work dude! Very nice!

Brent