• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

The General!

Started by nastygunz, July 07, 2023, 04:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

Does anybody have any fond memories of a general store when they were growing up? Mine was the Groton general store in Groton Vermont where I grew up. Owned by Delmar Hamlet and his wife Dottie. When I was a little kid they were both over 100 years old and oddly enough when I was an adult they were still both over 100 years old :biggrin:

It was a great big old store loaded from top to bottom with everything from farm implements to ladies clothing. Mr. Hamlet could have an entire conversation just using the one word, Ayupp! We kids used to put on miles collecting returnable bottles and cans and then hike down to the store and turn them in for five cents apiece and then use that to buy hooks, fishing line, and .22 bullets.

Back in them days kids were allowed to go to the store and pick up beer and wine and cigarettes for their parents lol.

Amongst many functions the store was the check-in station for deer and bear hunting. There was no turkey hunting back then. Probably the most prominent legend about the store is the time when a flatlander Hunter from Massachusetts came to the store to proudly check in his deer he shot.

Mr. hamlet took one look at it and said you goddamn fool that's Big John Rowley's goat!.... the old store is empty now but every time I drive by heading to the camp I get some great memories looking back  it.

bambam

We had several stores like that  around here when I was much younger. Dang I miss them.

My favorite was Eugene's store.  He made us a big sandwich with bologna and cheese that took 2 days to eat.

FinsnFur

Oh yah. Our general store had a side door that was nothing more then a wooden screen door. Painted black with the paint chipping and flaking off it and a long chinsey spring at the top to slam it shut behind ya.

My brother and I would ride our bikes past that door real fast and pound like hell on it as we went by. Then drive around the front of the store, throw our bikes down and walk in.
The tiny tin bell that hung above the door let the old man know someone came in. He was down by the side door bitching about some "goddamn kids".  :alscalls:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

nastygunz