• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Limping coyote I've seen twice near my house

Started by Okanagan, August 27, 2023, 12:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

A few days ago on a morning walk I came on a coyote that was mousing in a small weedy pasture.  He had his rump toward me so I stepped into a shadow and watched him or her for about 3 minutes.  Small coyote but not this year's pup, it was 30-35 yards from me.  When it turned to walk broadside to me, it was limping.

It was an interesting limp compared to several limping coyotes I've seen over the years.  It held its right front paw out in front and never put it down on the ground.  That paw must hurt pretty badly because it walked on three legs without touching the ground with the injured one.

I watched a coyote up close one time that had a front paw missing, and it put the stump on the ground when it walked or ran, kind of lurching on the short leg, but using it.  This local coyote holds it's paw rigidly ahead, always off the ground.  I could not see any swelling or injury to the paw.  But I saw it catch one mouse, so the injury isn't making it starve.

This morning on a run to a bakery for donuts, I saw it again.  Small coyote, and only its limp told me it is the same one.  It was 350 yards east of our house the first time I saw it.  This morning it was 250 yards west.

Hawks Feather

Give it a couple more days and it will be in your back yard.   :innocentwhistle:

Okanagan

Quote from: Hawks Feather on August 27, 2023, 07:33:55 PMGive it a couple more days and it will be in your back yard.  :innocentwhistle:

Since I posted I learned that within 15 minutes and 200 yards of my seeing the coyote this morning, my grandson's wife saw a coyote inspecting their chicken pen.  It was walking straight away from her and partly behind some tall grass and she did not notice a limp.  I didn't notice the limp till the coyote turned and walked broadside to me.

This is the grandson who had the persistent coyote after his chickens last winter and spring.  He killed that one with a shotgun when it kept coming back and kept trying to dig under the chicken pen fence.  Deja vu

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 27, 2023, 09:47:38 PMWait....what? :confused:

Short version:  I have seen a coyote that limps near my house, twice.  My grandson's wife has seen what is likely the same coyote checking out their chickens at their place near us. 

Hawks Feather

Jim, I think the wait will be (until the coyote gets there) and the what will be (a dead coyote).  :whew:

msmith

Quote from: Okanagan on August 28, 2023, 12:00:49 PM
Quote from: FinsnFur on August 27, 2023, 09:47:38 PMWait....what? :confused:

Short version:  I have seen a coyote that limps near my house, twice.  My grandson's wife has seen what is likely the same coyote checking out their chickens at their place near us. 

12 gauge and #3 TSS  :eyebrow:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI